• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Interesting Winder

Someone took this......

And turned it into this......

Check it out here.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/just-pick...pu-winder.html

What is really nice about that is the teflon-tube wire guide. It solves a number of issues of getting the mass of the tensioner off the traverse. That part's cute!

Actually, thinking about it, I wonder if the tube itself could be used for a tensioner. The friction of the wire inside the tube is a function of the degree of bend of the tube, so one could maybe control tension by merely varying a constantly bent portion of the tube.
    Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

I don't see where he gets the 1:15 count ratio, there's a lot more than 15 teeth on the spur gear, I guess the worm gear must have multiple threads...

Comment

Nice build.

It must be one helluva PITA to thread that wire through the teflon tube.
        -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

He probably just pops loose one end of the tube to make it straight, threads the wire thru, then puts it back on. I liked this too. The tube's a novel idea - I tried something like this once with pulleys but the wire always popped off the pulleys.

BTW, what was that thing originally? Looks like a garage door opener to me.

Ken
          www.angeltone.com

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
            ...probably just pops loose one end of the tube to make it straight, threads the wire thru, then puts it back on....Ken
            Yeah, tried that myself on my bench this morning after I posted, #42 starts out ok, then tends to get wadded-up and stuck, was very difficult to pass through untill I attached a piece of stiff wire (.009 guitar string) and fed it through with that.
            -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
              Yeah, tried that myself on my bench this morning after I posted, #42 starts out ok, then tends to get wadded-up and stuck, was very difficult to pass through untill I attached a piece of stiff wire (.009 guitar string) and fed it through with that.
              The thing to do is to feed the wire through ONCE with a guitar string. After that, you leave a couple of feet of wire in the teflon tube each time and pull the next wire through with the sacrificial bit you left in the tube.

Or just form a hook onto a bit of 009 guitar string and keep it handy.
              Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Comment

Originally posted by R.G. View Post
                The thing to do is to feed the wire through ONCE with a guitar string. After that, you leave a couple of feet of wire in the teflon tube each time and pull the next wire through with the sacrificial bit you left in the tube.

Umm, yeah, that's pretty much what I meant when I said:

...I attached a piece of stiff wire (.009 guitar string) and fed it through with that....
                -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Geeze.. seems easier to just leave the roll on the floor like i do.
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                  www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                    Geeze.. seems easier to just leave the roll on the floor like i do.
                    I do that too David, just seems like the best approach for that.

I give 'ol RG some slack though, it's his MO, his style, to complicate simple things (and simplify complicated things?) which isn't a bad thing really, it's simply a different approach, and he really likes to contribute. I have had "discussions" with him over the years on the effects forums and though we don't always see eye-to-eye, I appreciate having him around all the forums.

Life is good like that, we have all kinds of different thoughts and approaches to similar activities and problems, geez could you imagine if we all did things the same? wheew!.
                    -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Oh R.G. is way up there on my list.. he doesn't need any slack from me!

His website was one of the things that got me back into this mess we call music electronics after a long hiatus.

The teflon idea is great, but I would use a much shorter tube. When I'm being a klutz I break wire a lot... I'd hate to have to rethread that sucker every time.
                      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Umm, yeah, that's pretty much what I meant when I said:
                        Yeah, I know. Let me rephrase that.

That way you won't need to form a hook onto a bit of 009 guitar string and keep it handy like Redhouse already cleverly suggested you do.

Comment

Yeah, I know. Let me rephrase that.

That way you won't need to form a hook onto a bit of 009 guitar string and keep it handy like Redhouse already cleverly suggested you do.

I can feel the love!
                          -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Working...
                          X