Damaged an SMT board trying to solder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damaged an SMT board trying to solder

I damaged a dunlop crybaby classic trying to replace the 33k resistor... a dust sized black SMT square. ._.;

Seems I tugged up the edge of a trace with an attached blob of solder, then broke it off. Thoughts?
    Music Tech Wiki!

An SMT resistor in a Crybaby Classic. Marketing people are 'ho's.

The cleanest fix would be to replace the resistor, soldering it to the one good pad, scrape a bit of resist off the end of the remaining trace, and solder the end of the remaining trace to the resistor with a piece of 30 AWG wire.

A drop of flux on the resistor will improve your chances of removing the part without trace damage next time.

Comment

I'd suggest replacing it with an old-fashioned through-hole part, and just soldering its leads to whatever other terminals the damaged traces end up going to. Then stick the resulting mess on with a dab of hot glue and you're done.
      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

It may help to remember that education is always expensive, no matter how you pay for it.
        Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Ah yes, I can think of a whole list of things I don't plan to do a second time.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Yes, when I was a kid, I tried testing one of these 69 volt emergency light batteries with my tongue.

http://www.servicelighting.com/catal...m?prod=EL00646
            "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

yes, insidious, since they even look like 9v batteries.

Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Hey, cool - Thanks!

I still mess around with the tubes designed for battery powered radios at times and for all practical purposed "B" batteries are extinct. So I'm always looking for a compact high voltage battery and the best I'd found so far was some 20 V jobbies that looked like a shortened AA cell. These worked OK but I had to wind up soldering them in series. These 69 V cells look like they might work pretty well - but I haven't checked out the specs yet. But for simple "two triode" type distortion devices you only need a few milliamps - for the small "Herzogs" I've made you need a few more.

Rob

Comment

Allied shows a lot of them in their catalog. SImilar looking ones come in a variety of voltages like 20, 30, 40. Or somewhere in there. I saw a little piece of wall art that had blinking neon bulbs on it. In the back of it were a couple 45v batteries wired in series.

I seem to recall a 90v version too, but didn't spot it in the listings.

If you want to get real retro, they still make choppers. Old car radios used tubes running at high voltage made from the 12VDC system using a chopper.

Comment

in my indestrial tech class we had the crapiest soldering irons you have ever seen because they had so much stuff on them and a few people had melted its cord. one day while i was kneeling against my table(metal) I got the crap shocked out of me I was scared because my mother recently had a student(she was a teacher) killed by lightning so she was terrified of this kind of thing.
                    I put the sexy in dislexia!!!!:cool:

Comment

Working...
                    X