Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fender hotrod deville 212 trouble! (no power)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fender hotrod deville 212 trouble! (no power)

I was at band practice yesterday and i started to hear a popping noise. i was using high gain at the time so i tried using less gain, playing clean, switching inputs and making sure all the tubes were in all the way and working and with every alteration i still had a popping noise. i decided to just keep playing and about halfway through one of our songs my my amp goes out. i look over and the light is off but the stand by and power switches are still on. i switched amps for the remainder of practice and tried turning it on again earlier today with the same results. can anyone tell me what is wrong? any help would be much appreciated. thank you.

No power at all? No lights on at all? First thing that comes to mind is that an output tube went south and blew a fuse. Have you worked on things like this before? If not, be sure to read up on safety issues involving electronics. If you feel you can attack it yourself, press on and ask questions, but be VERY careful. Or have a local tech check it out. Replacing the fuse and pressing forward is not the answer. The fuse blew for a reason, VERY unlikely the fuse blew because it was tired.

Comment

thanks for the suggestion. the only experience i have as far as maintenance is with the guitar itself. i have no idea what to do with amplifiers at all. the only real electronic work i have done is installing pickups. would i be able to find a good tech at my local guitar center? it seems like a question with an obvious answer to me but i dont have any idea what to do with my amp and i dont want to get jerked around. how would i be able to identify a blown fuse?

Comment

take it in

Gary is right. based on your questions you should really take this in to a tech who knows what he is doing. Volts and Ampms can do alot more than just curl your hair, not to mention making a smal repair in to a realy big one. Go ahead and call your glocal guitar shop or the shop you bought the amp from and they'll recommend a local tech.

Mike

Comment

Yes, the voltages inside this amp can KILL YOU. I agree, most likely a power tube failed and blew the fuse. A new fuse might wake it up briefly, but the tube wil still be bad and will blow th new fuse soon enough.

New power tubes and a fuse MIGHT be all it needs.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

thank you guys alot you have been more than helpful. i did not intend on trying to fix it myself. i was just going to see if i could determine that actually was the problem so i could talk to someone over the phone and have more to say than "uhhhhh its broke.".

Comment

came across this page and noticed you had the exact same problem i have with my deville 212. could you let me know what the problem was and how you fixed it. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Corygreen146 View Post
                came across this page and noticed you had the exact same problem i have with my deville 212. could you let me know what the problem was and how you fixed it. Thanks!
                That may not be all that much help. There are probably many things that could lead to popping, then total silence.

If you're debugging an amp, go read the tube amp debug page at GEOFEX for a disciplined way to go about it. That's been on line for about a decade now, and as yet no one has told me that any part of it is wrong.
                Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

same problem

there are 2 hot rods at my college that dont work and i was considering trading my solid state for it and i wondered how much it would cost to fix just to see if its worth it any help would be much appreciated thanks
                  matt

Comment

Working...
                  X