The Tone Quest Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tone Quest Report

What's the crack with this lot. I heard a rumour that they only give your gear a review if you let them have it for free.
    I see Stephens Design advertising on there. Maybe you can enlighten us Possum............
    sigpic Dyed in the wool

The ad was a gift from my wife. Basically they only run "directory listings" and don't take paid advertising. I don't really know if I am getting any work from that or not, the listing only lasts 3 months, it took them about 3 weeks just to put a link on their website so I wasn't too thrilled about that. So you pay for quarterly listings. David, the owner seems a real level headed guy and I know he gets alot of flak for his opinions, he is the guiding hand of the magazine and admits that his reviews are his opinion, along with a few others, take it or leave it. that seems to annoy some people out there. I thought they did a pretty good job in reviewing about 10 real PAFs that Vintage Checkout sent them to listen to, but some disagree about that, it was an informal listening test, nothing scientific. I don't know if they only take submissions if you give them the stuff, he did tell me if they didn't like something they send it back. I do know from reading a few issues that they do BUY alot of what they review, they seem to have deep pockets.

For my money the people who best have their shit together is Vintage Guitar Magazine. They run a real tight professional business, they send out email and phone notices when ad deadlines are coming up, they promptly send out comp issues so you can check placement and how your ad is working in context of the pages, they don't seem to have any bias in reviews and will review stuff even if its not from an advertiser. They promptly answer emails and faxes. Wish the other mags had it together like that...
    http://www.SDpickups.com
    Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Interesting, I'm really lazy when it comes to advertising - just busy mainly on word of mouth from a few trade shows.

So do you reckon a Vintage Guitar ad is worth the cash in terms of enquiries gained?
      Bulldog Pickups

Matamp

Comment

I can't say for sure. It works for me because I'm a career art director/designer and know how to make an effective ad. VG's market is what their magazine's name is, the vintage market, mostly baby boomer generation like myself. Not a place to sell hot humbuckers for sure. 20th Century is their competition, those are the only two that matter to me.
        http://www.SDpickups.com
        Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Thanks - good points - plus you just don't see Vintage Guitar much over here in the UK and given the current dollar/sterling exchange my prices are less than competitive in the US!

It would be interesting to see how it compares price wise with Guitarist magazine.
          Bulldog Pickups

Matamp

Comment

All I've heard about the Tonequest Report is negative things. How popular is that site? I don't want to pre-judge them.
            sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

HA_HA... It Looks like TQR actually stands for "The Questionable Reporter" LOL
              Last edited by pupoholic; 06-10-2008, 11:25 PM.
              Let's all Close shop and Go Fishing!, the heck with everything today!

Comment

Its actually a pretty cool magazine. I've had a subscription since the beginning of it, and while it is expensive, and the editors are pretty opinionated, and they seem to review some odd choices and not review others that you would think should obviously be reviewed, overall it is a good magazine.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by soundmasterg View Post
                  Its actually a pretty cool magazine. I've had a subscription since the beginning of it, and while it is expensive, and the editors are pretty opinionated, and they seem to review some odd choices and not review others that you would think should obviously be reviewed, overall it is a good magazine.

Greg
                  It's is expensive and quirky but I like it. Perhaps I am expensive and quirky at heart.

Comment

Originally posted by soundmasterg View Post

Greg
                    Opinionated Editors. I would imagine that limits their ability to be fair and balanced and unbiased.
                    I was told that they will not review anything unless they can have it for free.
                    So, just the same as all the guitar magazines.
                    sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Originally posted by Spence View Post
                      Opinionated Editors. I would imagine that limits their ability to be fair and balanced and unbiased.
                      I was told that they will not review anything unless they can have it for free.
                      So, just the same as all the guitar magazines.
                      Respectable magazines like Guitar Player send back the product after they review it. It takes a while but they do send it back to the builder.

Ted

www.stevensonguitars.com

Comment

I would think to get a review in a major magazine it would be worth the cost of a pickup...but that's just me.
                        -Stan
                        ...just transferring wire from one spool to another
                        Stan Hinesley Pickups
                        FaceBook

Comment

Originally posted by Spence View Post
                          Opinionated Editors.
                          Isn't that redundant?

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Stan H View Post
                            I would think to get a review in a major magazine it would be worth the cost of a pickup...but that's just me.
                            yes - " Major" magazine might be... IE Vintage Guitar - GP _ GW and those two UK mags..
                            BUT TQR is not major !-- in fact they sent my stuff back..
                            the phone rang once - from that whole mess -- but TQR called me and told me to buy lots of parts and get ready for a huge run.. yea right!
                            Glad I did not follow the advise..

Now with Vintage Guitar I had phones ringing daily and friends seeing the ads.
                            when I designed and marketed - the Lace Hot Golds
                            Let's all Close shop and Go Fishing!, the heck with everything today!

Comment

Surly>>

And when its all done...You have 2 guys telling their subscribers their opinion....Nothing more...Is it going to bring sales?? Thats questionable depending on the mags reputation, and as reading this, its clear they are very opinionated and readers seem to know that so thats questionable? Personally, I think your evryday buyers are the ones who really make the difference but a simple ad can do wonders to with no opinions what so ever. "if they like it, they keep it?" Make sure and send them a bill : )

Comment

Working...
                              X