Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Classic 30 "tweed bassman" mod - first time modding...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it actually works great! No problems at all, and it's really warmed up - I actually use the normal channel now, and the "lead" channel has far more responsive controls. I'd still like to have a go at the boost and eq sections, but that's not happening until I can actually get the exact components I want for a reasonable price, as it really is a pain to open it up and fix it all in again! I recommend it if you actually have experience with soldering/electronics. It isn't a good idea for a first electronics project, especially if you don't know how to fix a broken solder joint, or follow a signal path to trace a problem!

I actually have a lecturer interested in builds/mods this year, and he's already mentioned extra-curricular classes where we can do builds, so I might have a go at some of the other mods later in the year

Comment

I love the C30, and it certainly responds to various mods well. But it is a complete pain in the ass to work on. I can get one all apart and back together again in maybe 10 minutes, but I am someone who has seen them often and has many years experience. You have learned I see that you don;t want to take it apart again until you can do it just in one trip.

May I suggest, that if you plan to do some work as school projects, consider working on a different amp. An old Fender Bassman head in one of its many various variations is a common circuit and simple to work on. And for my money, an old Traynor Bassmate or something similar is ideal. It is basically a Canadian Bassman clone, but it is built like a tank and the chassis is large enough for two amps inside. Very easy to work in. And plenty of space if you wanted to add an extra preamp tube or two.

For experimentation, having access so yuo can immediately change out this or that part and hear the difference is extremely valuable. It also lends itself to show and tell for the instructor or a class presentation. In fact you could experient with tone stack changes or whatever on the other amp to finalize some concept you intend eventually for the C30 without having to mess with the C30 itself.

Just a thought.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I'm glad to hear it's working for you. Enzo has a good point, if you are going to use something as a test bed for learning how to mod, I'd pick something other than a C30!

Comment

Working...
        X