ID this switch for a Mutron AutoWah w/photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID this switch for a Mutron AutoWah w/photo

I need help finding a replacement switch for a Mutron Auto Wah mode selector.
    It's a ceramic 1P3T rotary switch with four posts on one edge and three on the other.
    I've attached three photos (the shaft is broken off).
    There are numbers stamped on it: 5708-001 137 7917

I'd like to know where to get a replacement.

Thanks!!
    Attached Files
    See the birth of a 2-watt tube guitar amp - the "Dyno Tweed"
    http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/DynoTweed.html

Originally posted by PRNDL View Post
    (the shaft is broken off).
    I'd like to know where to get a replacement.
    The only way to find an exact replacement will probably be another dead unit.

There was a company doing repros of these, but I'd doubt that they used the original switch in their design. But, I guess you could try and contact them if they are still around.

What I've done in the past with problems like this one is to re-use the switch wafer and install it on a different shaft assembly. From what I remember, there are only a few different standard rotational degree standards, so finding another switch that had click stops in the right spots wasn't too hard. Then you just need to modify the rotation stop blocks to limit the number of positions.

Comment

Maybe give Haz Labs a call

HAZ Laboratories 39 HARTMANS CORNER ROAD · WASHINGTON, N.J. · 07882 ·
      (908)453-3300 · FAX(908)453-3310 · E-mail:sales@mu-tron.com

although the new one (Mutron +) has a four pole switch on the old schematic
      its a single pole 3 position changeover switch marked " Mode Switch 0502 "

Comment

Have you looked through a large catalog like Allied? They should have rotary switches, and probably pc mount ones, but even if the wafer has solder lugs, you could add on little solid wire stubs from each and solder them to the board. The switch would ultimately be supported by the nut on the bushing, not the wires.

That is a 30 year old CTS product.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by oc disorder View Post
          Maybe give Haz Labs a call

HAZ Laboratories 39 HARTMANS CORNER ROAD · WASHINGTON, N.J. · 07882 ·
          (908)453-3300 · FAX(908)453-3310 · E-mail:sales@mu-tron.com

although the new one (Mutron +) has a four pole switch on the old schematic
          its a single pole 3 position changeover switch marked " Mode Switch 0502 "
          I don't think the "reissue" has much in common with the original. I have heard that they are digital based, but I haven't been inside one to confirm.
          The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Expanding on what Enzo already pointed out, it sure looks a lot like the one pictured here:

http://www.ctscorp.com/components/selector_switches.htm

The PDF download outlines the part options.

It also looks like they come in a wide variety of shaft styles, number of positions, PC or wire mount, etc. Which also probably means they cater mostly to OEM's in large quantities. If the measurements are correct and you can figure out the correct part number (and you have a good line of BS about being a manufacturer ) you might be able to order some "engineering samples" direct from CTS.

Comment

If you Google Mutron, you'll find a site run by Mike Beigel, the original designer of the Mutron line of FX. Maybe try to contact him for suggestions. For all we know, he might have a drawer full of them!

Comment

Working...
              X