This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GlennW View Post
    Maybe a little off topic, but what HB's did Albert King's guitar have? I really like the sound on "Crosscut Saw".
    They were genuine 1958 POOFs wound on a spinning jenny by an alien with a an axe to grind.
    sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

So we have learned that....

*The machine is the key ingredient(from a guy with Leesona)

*The metal is the key ingredient(from a guy that has the only source of such metal)

*use the same parts as everyone else, and you get the same pickup as everyone else(from some guy that said that)

*there is no way to get the right sound of a PAF unless you __________ or you _________ because _____________did it and it's nothing like a REAL PAF because I said so and ____________________doesn't know shit because he uses _____________ and he's an asshole anyway because he posts on _____________________ which is clearly a haven for fucksticks blah blah blah blah.......

Honestly, anyone else think this looks like 1st graders sitting around making things with paste and popsicle sticks?

We are GROWN ADULTS, folks, and NOT ONE of us has THE ONLY WAY.

Comment

Originally posted by BCRGreg View Post
        We are GROWN ADULTS, folks, and NOT ONE of us has THE ONLY WAY.
        Bravo!

The emperor has no clothes.

...and his wee-wee isn't very interesting, either.

-drh
        "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
          One of his guitars was built by Dan Erlewine.

You could try emailing him and see if it's the same guitar

http://www.danerlewine.com/contact.html
          I've seen pictures of the one Dan built, black with Albert's name on the fretboard IIRC.

I think this is the one he used before (with alien wound pickups).
          Attached Files

Comment

I've seen pictures of the one Dan built, black with Albert's name on the fretboard IIRC.
            It's actually natural walnut. It looked like it had Dimarzio PAF's too.

I think this is the one he used before (with alien wound pickups).
            I wonder what year is that Flying V? They were made from '58 to '59, and then again from '67. Assuming it's from the first run (and I think it is) them thar pickups would be PAF's....
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Lee Guy View Post
              Absolutely! You cannot get better than our friend Seymour Duncan. He had choice of winding machines and chose two best ones actually used at Gibson factory.
              Wrong! The guys that run Heritage were in charge of the auction that put the old Leesonas up for sale along with other equipment. The Heritage guys decided to keep this machine. If you are familiar with how Seth Lover bobbins were wound you would realize how important this machine is. Seth Lovers have a different winding pattern on the slug bobbin. A winding pattern and TPL count that the Leesona 102 does not do with the stock gear set. This machine does only slug bobbins with a pattern and TPL count which the Leesona 102 cannot do. The catch is that the winding pattern and TPL on a slug Seth Lover is way different from what this machine does. I know I have a the right winding pattern for these special PAF slug bobbins. As for Seymour I can't speak for him but this machine couldn't do his special slug bobbin pattern.

This machine is super important to winding an accurate variety of PAF clones.

Last edited by JGundry; 06-17-2008, 05:52 PM.
              They don't make them like they used to... We do.
              www.throbak.com
              Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

united nations

OK boys, here it is! introducing the M.E.F humbucker TAA DARR . Made with Possums aloy's, wound with Wills wire or your own, wound by a choice of JGurdy's machine or Spence's hand and you supply the magnets. Original wind under 8k or modern 8.5 and over. is it going to happen? It may lead to a new dawn in the guitar. Please kiss and make up guy's or its back to the gammer radiation for me Maybe in 2050 people will be trying to find out how to get a M.E.F humbucker sound and paying stupid money for an original 2008? And thus a new argument begins for the winders of future. How it was made.

Comment

Originally posted by greenfingers View Post
                  OK boys, here it is! introducing the M.E.F humbucker TAA DARR . Made with Possums aloy's, wound with Wills wire or your own, wound by a choice of JGurdy's machine or Spence's hand and you supply the magnets. Original wind under 8k or modern 8.5 and over. is it going to happen? It may lead to a new dawn in the guitar. Please kiss and make up guy's or its back to the gammer radiation for me Maybe in 2050 people will be trying to find out how to get a M.E.F humbucker sound and paying stupid money for an original 2008? And thus a new argument begins for the winders of future. How it was made.
                  put me down for 3...can't forget the magical mags either.
                  www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

I just want a great sounding pickup..Not recreation of a hit or miss pickup..
                    Bryan Gunsher
                    http://www.bg-pups.com
                    https://www.facebook.com/BGPups

Comment

Originally posted by kevinT View Post
                      put me down for 3...can't forget the magical mags either.
                      It's ok for me, i only live about 25 miles from eclipse in sheffield. : )
                      Last edited by greenfingers; 06-17-2008, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chevalij View Post
                        I just read that whole thread. Nothing really bad in it. Dave, you stated that the metal was important. Okay, I believe you. Why wouldn't it? Magnetic flux is a funny thing. However, you also stated it over and over. I myself took it to mean "I've got the only true PAF clone" because only I understand the metal. I can see where others may get their backs up. Now, I don't wind humbuckers so I don't really care.

I can see where you defended your comments well, and you were self debasing to the point of being humble. "crotchety old fart" may have been used You told them your opinions based on your research, they didn't care. That's it...
                        Originally posted by Possum View Post
                        this thread is getting pretty funny :-) Well, I had to repeat over and over that the metal is of supreme importance because its not getting heard. Really I should just keep quiet about what i learned, but wanted to share it with others who might catch on and make closer sounding products. I think I won't be sharing anymore on this subject :-) I knew this was going to ruffle feathers when I brought it out, especially at the MLP forum. The title of that thread is "the best PAF clone." So they got WB sound clips all over that thread and I'll tell you they don't sound anything like the real deal. I made the mistake of pointing that out, oops. Especially the one clip in the middle position someone posted of WB's pickups sounded really nice, but if you are using a metal that is doing what the real stuff does, you get an almost tele like tone in the middle, listen to those Bloomfield clips on my video, for awhile I thought it WAS a tele, but its not. the metal reacts that way, it was one of the first things I noticed when I made the change. So they jumped on me for that, saying it ain't so. Most of those guys never played a real PAF and don't know what one really is. That is the hardest thing about this whole PAF thing, the name has been abused to death so that it is meaningless in the context of what do they really sound like, play like, record like, feel like, react like in different amps. Very few know that and have direct experience with it. Thats what you are up against if you're making something very close to the real deal. I"m finding players don't know what to listen for, even with vintage sound clips, they aren't hearing it, to them they are just pickups and they don't understand the difference between that and everything else. the only guys I'm finding who really get it are the more professional players and the OLD guys who had those pickups as a kid or who still own them.

The metal I am using is NOT the actual metal, it is made to do the same thing, perform the same function and is used in magnetic audio gear etc. For now its the closest I could get with being almost affordable, and a company that didn't insist on only selling me a 2000lb. minimum order, and actually answers emails. Nitewinder is right in that when you try to get this stuff or similar you are dealing with industrial types who won't sell you small amounts so you're talking a big investment. I've been very lucky that I got this far, I ran out of money to go any further so am cutting and milling this stuff myself which is a royal pain in the butt, but the rewards to the ear are worth it to me.

The weird thing about having a real PAF to play is that you get used to it real fast and it stops being something special after about a week and becomes just another pickup. Well, until you put it down and go back and play something else, then you go "oh yeah, I forgot...." and you realize the tiny things that makes these so cool to play. But damn, they are a HARD SELL, everyone has been beat over the head with "authentic PAF tone" that you get drowned out by the BS. Fortunately there are enough out there who have ears who are buying my product, so I can pay for this stuff :-) And I'm not done with this endeavor, probably will be years from now before I feel like I did all the work to my satisfaction.

So, enough of this stuff, lets talk about NAKED WOMEN!!! Yeah!!!!

I found the information you presented very interesting Dave !!! But what did you expect ? The masses to jump on the bandwagon immedietly ??? Just doesn't happen !!! and especially on a place as fickle as MLP !!!!!!
                        " Over the Pond Guy " Pickups & Rings @ OverthePondGuy@aol.com

Comment

Well, speaking of naked women and jumping on things...maybe she'll wear a wool thong for Spence if we all chip in.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JGundry View Post
                            Wrong! The guys that run Heritage were in charge of the auction that put the old Leesonas up for sale along with other equipment. The Heritage guys decided to keep this machine. If you are familiar with how Seth Lover bobbins were wound you would realize how important this machine is. Seth Lovers have a different winding pattern on the slug bobbin. A winding pattern and TPL count that the Leesona 102 does not do with the stock gear set. This machine does only slug bobbins with a pattern and TPL count which the Leesona 102 cannot do. The catch is that the winding pattern and TPL on a slug Seth Lover is way different from what this machine does. I know I have a the right winding pattern for these special PAF slug bobbins. As for Seymour I can't speak for him but this machine couldn't do his special slug bobbin pattern.

This machine is super important to winding an accurate variety of PAF clones.

WRONG! Seymour Duncan obtain first of his machine from Gibson whilst still in Parsons Street, then buy second at auction, then he given Seth Lover's personal machines, so for machine wound PAF replica cannot get better than a Seymour Duncan pickup, except 2 or 3 Duncan pickups!
                            Last edited by Sam Lee Guy; 06-17-2008, 11:43 PM.

Comment

I've always liked the oddball two facedkinds : )
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Lee Guy View Post
                                WRONG! Seymour Duncan obtain first of his machine from Gibson whilst still in Parsons Street, then buy second at auction, then he given Seth Lover's personal machines, so for machine wound PAF replica cannot get better than a Seymour Duncan pickup, except 2 or 3 Duncan pickups!
                                WRONG! According to Seymour's own promotional DVD both Leesonas were bought from the Gibson auction when they were leaving Parson's street.

The above machine was taken out of the old Parson street facility by me last week were it was born put to use making PAF's, Pat sticker pickups, and T-Tops.

Seth Lover's personal winding machine is an interesting side show attraction but has nothing to do with PAF's beyond the two slug bobbin prototype wound on it.
                                They don't make them like they used to... We do.
                                www.throbak.com
                                Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

Working...
                                X