X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with my pedal set up!

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum so be gentle!

My current fx set up is wrecking my head, huge amount of hum and I'm convinced its because of the way I set up my pedals.

My current set up is;

Guitar >> fender tuner >> boss eq >> line 6 DL4 >> boss super chorus >> boss noise suppressor >> amp(marshall JCM2000 DSL100)

See attached picture of what it looks like....

Can anyone stop the noise??!

Cheers,
    Dave.
    Attached Files

My current fx set up is wrecking my head, huge amount of hum and I'm convinced its because of the way I set up my pedals.
    My current set up is;
    Guitar >> fender tuner >> boss eq >> line 6 DL4 >> boss super chorus >> boss noise suppressor >> amp(marshall JCM2000 DSL100)
    See attached picture of what it looks like....

Can anyone stop the noise??!

Sure, just eliminate the source of entry !
    Guitar...has 'pickups' [which pickup noise]..
    tuner [like all these units, require Ground, a lifted ground is unlikely, but if it is lifted...is a great source for noise.
    Power supplies:
    Line 6...not sure what on this exept pull it out of the chain [cable around it] to see if it is the source.
    Boss SC: try a battery or floating regulated DC supply on this to see if PS noise isn't being introduced to the signal path.
    Noise supressor...try floating the PS on this one too.
    DSL 100..
    Gain + Gain is actually 'gain x gain', if the signal strength is multiplied, whatever noise is in there has it's strenth mulitplied by the same amount.
    Process of elimination is exactly that, cables, actual circuits [doubtful but the pedals can malfunction]...all that stuff.
    Using batteries or floating supply voltage = lifting ground connections = breaking ground loops = eliminating noise [if ground loop is cause]...batteries make excellent [easy] test comparators [almost absolute DC/no ripple] to break gruond loops with, don't forget to unplug the DC jack..

Comment

Excellent!...Gonna try that later.....thanks alot!

Comment

Originally posted by LOCUST_STAR View Post
        I don't see anything in the pedals that would cause hum on its own. I think you may be mistaken about the source of the noise.

Large amounts of hum in a pedalboard are usually a bad cable (i.e. broken ground/shield), or an unfiltered power supply adapter.

If I had that problem, I would put batteries in all effects. Hum go away? Then there is some thing about the power adapter that's getting you.

If there was no change, I would pull out one pedal and cable at a time. Did the hum change on one pedal in particular? If so, check that cable and pedal.

There are other causes, but these are the places to start.
        Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Working...
        X