Peavey Ultra 60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Ultra 60

I have an ultra 60 that is just sitting around and I would like to know of any mods. These amps fetch about $200-$275 and I would rather mod it then GIVE it away. The sound is thin and I would like to thicken it up. So if anyone has a mod or two that I could try please let me know.
    Pete

IIRC thats a very high gain amp with a similar circuit to the 5150. Mine sounded pretty good for shred type stuff. But when I took it to a gig it WAS thin and I couldn't get it loud enough with the EQ settings I was using at the time (Guitar Center house sound). But I didn't think the distortion character was bad at all. So you might just want to turn down the top end controls and crank the mid knob. The PCB in those things is not really mod friendly. But if your determined to mod it I think changing the tonestack slope R and cap values would help alot. I don't have a schem for that amp. If I can find one online I can reference R#s and such to make it easier.

Chuck
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Actually the Ultra preamp is different from the 5150. The 5150 is Peavey version of the SLO and the ultra is straight up 5 hot gain stages. Here is the schematic. Any and all mods I can try will be appreciated and I will keep in mind the inferior pcb.
      http://img391.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ltra056wy1.jpg

Comment

I can't load that image with enough clarity to read it. Can you mail it to me?

saratogapainting@comcast.net

Chuck
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Just contact PV parts and request the drawings you need.

They are not THAT dis-similar. The Ultra series, the 5150, the XXX and JSX are all related in the PV line. Point being that tonal considerations for both amps ought to be similar.

The Ultra has an Active EQ stage for the dity channel, while the EQ in the 5150 is plain old passive TMB. The 5150 has 6 gain stages plus the FX return buffer. The Ultra has four gain stages, plus the active EQ and a buffer. In the Ultra clean channel, the active EQ is bypassed and only two of those gain channels are in the circuit. In the 5150 the same signal path through the amp is used for all channels - all 6 gain stages - but various parts are switched to lower gain and drive. But the gist of the two circuits is pretty similar.

I wouldn't call the pc board low quality, it is just REAL inconvenient to change parts on when compared to a Fender eyelet board.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
          X