Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's an interesting pickup

Anyone know what it is? (I do)

It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

A Bass pickup?

Comment

Originally posted by Mystic View Post
      A Bass pickup?
      Yes... but what make?
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

OK... I thought this would be more fun! You are all party poopers!

No.. I don't have the bass here, just the pickup. Wish I did.

Comment

Nice!

Great looking bass. Looks like two output jacks on it.
          Ron
          It's just wire wrapped around some magnets!

Comment

David,
            What magnets are they using under there?

Comment

was going to say wal, saw their innards in a book about instrument building (the got me interested in making pickups). good concept imo

Comment

It looks like it would be an assembler's nightmare. A lot of time and patience needed for that one.
                www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

Details! What size wire? DCR per coil? Bar magnet or magnetic poles?
                  -Stan
                  ...just transferring wire from one spool to another
                  Stan Hinesley Pickups
                  FaceBook

Comment

Originally posted by gilligan View Post
                    Great looking bass. Looks like two output jacks on it.
                    Ron
                    Yeah, they have a transformer balanced XLR output. It has a FET based preamp.

Originally posted by David King View Post
                    David,
                    What magnets are they using under there?
                    David, I was waiting for you to see this! Clint needs to check this out too.

4 ceramic magnets, with two pairs stuck together to make it like 2 magnets.
                    They are attached to two threaded keeper bars. The adjustable poles pass through the coils, through the circuit board that hold the coils, and threads into the keepers.

Originally posted by kevinT View Post
                    It looks like it would be an assembler's nightmare. A lot of time and patience needed for that one.
                    Oh yeah! But the coils are attached to a circuit board, that I guess would make it a bit easier to wire up. But now you see why those basses cost so much! Plus everything is custom made... even the pole pice screws are custom made.

Originally posted by black_labb View Post
                    was going to say wal, saw their innards in a book about instrument building (the got me interested in making pickups). good concept imo
                    I've always loved these basses. I only got to play one once, and it wasn't plugged in.

The original Bartolini Hi-A pickups also used one coil per string, but not two coils per string. The reasoning is the smaller coils produce a cleaner tone.

Originally posted by Stan H View Post
                    Details! What size wire? DCR per coil? Bar magnet or magnetic poles?
                    I don't know what the wire size is yet. I may not ever know as I was given this to study, but I can only take it apart so far. I do plan on pealing back the yellow plastic tape to look at the wire, but the rest will probably have to be extrapolated from the DC resistance vs. the coil size. I don't have anything to read wire gauge anyway... well I do have a micrometer, but I have no clue how to use it! It was my dad's.

The two rows of coils are wired together... I believe in series, like two humbucker coils.

Each set of 4 coils reads 9.8K. So that would be 2.45K per coil. The circuit I have shows both halves wired in series, so the total for the pickup would be 19.6K!

I'm making a copy of the Wal preamp for a customer to go with the pickup, and then I'm going to attempt to make a copy of the pickup, but most likely in a MM case.

Comment

I'm going to be taking full dimensional measurements and all over the next few weeks. I think it's a rare opportunity to see one of these pickups, and to be able to take it apart is even more rare!

Oh.. here's another victim.

As you can see some bozo cut the wire off there it exits the pickup. The pickup seems good though, it reads 7.78K. I've been given permission to destroy the thing in the name of science. The whole thing is made of cast epoxy, unlike the newer Activators that seem to have plastic cases.

I have to say, that's the UGLIEST possible font they could have used!

Look how wide the magnet is

Comment

Thats a bitchin design!! I wonder for guitar!!! Hum...

Comment

That's a BASS HUMBUCKER lol

Comment

Originally posted by magnus0 View Post
                            That's a BASS HUMBUCKER lol

I want to make one for guitar though!!! It looks bad ass....I think that will be my next Study!! Something sililiar anyway....

Comment

Made a set of this type of pickup for my Stratocaster about six months ago.
                              Each coil read about 1.80k to 1.90k, total 5.60k per pickup, and only 700 feet of wire for each pickup.
                              The pic/sound sample of them is on my last post.
                              I thought my idea was original until David posted that Bass pickup photo.
                              Ach well, the cats out of the bag.
                              It`ll be interesting to see what he finds out when he does the autopsy.

Comment

Working...
                              X