TS808 Clone sqealing! help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS808 Clone sqealing! help?

Hey folks, im new here and like most folks my first post is in the form of a question lol. I have built several TS808 clones and this last one I built I thought Id use cheaper parts to compaire with one using top shelf parts. Kind of an experiment. Anyways, the pedal works fine, BUT.... with all 3 knobs wide open I get an awful squeel. Its not guitar feedback, something to do with the pedal for sure. When i roll the tone knob back ever so slightly the squeel will dull down, you can acutally shape the suqeel by twisting the tone knob lol, it kind of makes this "whee ohhh wheee ohhh" sound when you twist it back and fowarth. With it rolled back just a bit the suqeel is gone. I used carbon resistors (radio shack... cheap.) along with polly caps and electro where called for, very cheap transistors. all the parts are correct values, but were low cost, so im guessing there not the best quality. im pretty sure this is why it suqeels wide open but I wanted to ask if anyone else has had something like this happen and if so what was the cause. I plan to strip the board and repopulating it with metal film resistors and better componets over all. Like I said, this was just an experiemnt and done out of curiosity to see how it would sound next to my 808 clone built with top shelf parts... i wouldnt think of selling this lol.... Any how sorry for the long post lol, if anyone can shead some light on the subject Id love to hear your thoughts!

update... it was the crappy carbon resistors... i pulled them and put in metal film ones and it sounds great...

Comment

Working...
    X