Made a simple speed control for my Dremel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made a simple speed control for my Dremel

... because it's a single-speed model, and I broke a couple of drill bits when I used it to drill my last PCB.

I didn't want to buy the speed controller sold by Dremel because it's foot-operated, it's overpriced, and none of the stores near me keeps it in stock.

I did some reading on AC motor speed controls and figured out that the Dremel speed controller probably uses the same triac-based circuit that every light dimmer does.

So, last night I went to Home Depot and got a dimmer switch (rated for 600 watts, which is more than enough for my Dremel), a receptacle, a metal box that can hold two switches or receptacles, an extension cord, and a fitting to hold the cord in place. I knocked out a hole in the box, cut the female end of the extension cord off, figured out which wire was hot, and assembled everything. It works, and it doesn't get warm.

Shea

Voila!!!
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I use a pedal for a sewing machine, it works like a gas pedal, the farther you push, the faster you go. You just plug your Dremel into it and off you go!

Comment

Originally posted by BCRGreg View Post
        I use a pedal for a sewing machine, it works like a gas pedal, the farther you push, the faster you go. You just plug your Dremel into it and off you go!
        That's cool too!

I wanted a knob, but sometimes a foot pedal would be handy, and you didn't even have to assemble anything.

Comment

Working...
        X