PING: Enzo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PING: Enzo

Do you know if any service info exists for the PAS power amps mfgr's in the late 70s/early 80s? I have a couple in right now and the one I've gotten to so far is not an output section issue....signal's not getting to it. Checked around on the input pcb, everything seems ok there. Its possible there's a problem on the driver pcb, but I can't get the damn thing apart to check.....bolts are siezed up. I'm not gonna waste any more time until I have a light to guide me through the fog.....
    The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Oh no, those "Piece A Shit" amps made in the Detroit area? How they sold so many of those I'll never know. I do know there is a PAS - Prfessional Audio Systems - in Calif or someplace who will deliver a curt "NO, that is NOT us." when you ask on the phone.

I never saw any documentation on those, they were a pain in the ass to work on, they looked home made, and likely were. They were weird old crap 20 years ago, amazing some are still out running at all.

COnsider the replacement cost of something like a used PV CS800 or something versus repair.

SOrry, no roadmap here. But they are very generic.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Right-o then. I think I'm gonna pass on the one I've been into already. I'll give the other one a look but I'm not gonna burn up too much time on it. Heh...while we're on this subject...ever been into any of the "Miller" products? Now *there's* a high school science project there.....there's one thats been abandoned here. A 200 and some odd watt bass head.....8 RCA40411s mounted right to the chassis (aluminum), no heat sink mass really, and a fan. A really cheesy shaded pole motor mounted with hardwasre store brackets blowing over the to-3s. Yuuuuuuuck.....

Comment

Yes, not only have I seen them, I've worked on a few, and I think I drew out a schemo on one once.

Made in FLint if I recall. The one here has two power transformers - one for each polarity. One of these is shorted. I would have to find the exact one so it balanced the other, not to mention they are bolted touching each other, so the footprint matters - there is not much excess room. yep, TO3s bolted right to the chassis, and ho-made circuit boards. I declined the repair.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I can tell you that a PAS amp dropped on a deserted highway at 85 mph from the back of a band truck makes a pretty good spark show as it careens along, casting parts into the ether.

Comment

COOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLL!!!!
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHQO8w7mLFg

Comment

I always knew Bobby could get down...

Comment

Working...
              X