Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Am I Missing Here? (re: 4558 JRC).....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Am I Missing Here? (re: 4558 JRC).....

I see eBay sellers selling the venerable 4558 JRC (Japan Radio Corp.) opamp for as much as $10 a pop. I don't get it. It is NOT a rare part! I needed a 4558 this morning for a repair (so what else is new?), went into my 4558 bin, and found about 75 pieces in there. I went and checked my computer inventory and found that I last ordered 200 pieces from Mouser a year ago at $.30 each, and they are STILL available.

When it comes to 4558's, I honesty cannot say I hear a difference between the JRC, Texas Instrument, or ST Microelectronics version in any application.

I know this has to do with the original Tube Screamer. I've built clones with other 4558's and they sound downright badass! So, what is with this "quasi-vintage" 4558 JRC BS???

I should mark up my prices on these.....NOT!!!
    John R. Frondelli
    dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

I think basically the premium is on the version that came with original 80s TSs but out of ignorance, confusion or whatever there may be people paying for non-exact later production versions with a slightly different appearance (which of course you can buy for 40 cents or so at parts vendors). Now is there some magical difference in sound? Well... if I'm selling mine, you bet there is!!!

here's a pic (upper left) :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7878340@N05/1803705210/

Comment

John, I don't know if you open the mail where you work, but I do here, and on a regular basis I get mailings from some company who tells me the law requires certain signs be posted for employees to see, and reminds us the large penalties for failure to display them. And for only $69, or whatever they think they can get this month, they will send me a complete set of all the official signage.

What they don't point out is that I can get all the exact same signs from the labor department for free.

SOmeone thinks he can sell the ICs for $10. I don't doubt some people fall for it.

People like the sound of some effect pedal - say the Tube Screamer as compared to a Boss something - and they note the brand ICs used, and decide that that brand makes the difference in tone rather than the circuits around them. And they never look back.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Well Enzo, I guess P.T. Barnum WAS right.....there IS a sucker born every minute. Perhaps every second now with the internet!
        John R. Frondelli
        dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Working...
        X