Organ Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organ Amp

I took an amp out of a Silvertone organ and it sounds pretty good with my guitar. Nothing beats the sound of natural tube distortion. It's the same amp as the one specified on this page:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread/t-114405.html

I can't get the vibrato to work, but in the forum it said changing a capacitor works, so I think I'll try that. The issue I have at hand is the buzz. It' bearable, but it's still there. Do I need to change the power chord to a modern polarized, 3 prong deal? Do the pots need to be grounded?

If there is another thread that's discussed this before, just send me there.
    Thanks
    David

DEFINATELY change the power plug. And make the green ground wire longer than the hot and neutral wires so that in the eventuality the line cord gets pulled out, the chassis is grounded and the hot wire touching the chassis will cause the circuit breaker to blow. UL approval requires this and it's for your safety.

Unfortunately, I'll leave the rest of your questions to other forum members.

L

Comment

Yeah, definitely need proper grounding for safety. Looking at the schemo the volume control is probably drawn wrong (and it would be nice to directly link it instead to second hand us - after all, we're trying to help you!).

As far as you "buzz" goes - have you changed the filter caps? If not that's probably your problem. Udderwise is the amp still in the original chassis? If not then you've probably got a shielding problem created when the amp was removed from the original environment - sometimes the "shielding" is only aluminum foil strategically placed (check tube shields also).

Rob

Comment

Working...
      X