5E8 twin step by step guide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5E8 twin step by step guide?

Does anyone know a company that sells a tweed twin kit with a step by step guide?

That's probably not the right amp to be building if you need step by step instructions. A Champ is probably more like it. No offense intended, just trying to keep it real for you.

Comment

I did a tweed deluxe with a step by step guide and it worked out pretty good. I was thinking a twin would be a cool second project. I'd feel alot more comfortable with directions though. Any ideas?

Comment

tweed twin kit

Mojo (mojotone.com) sells tweed hi and lo power twin kits .. I don't know about step by step guide ...only one I know of that does that is Allen Amps but I do not think he does the tweed style ..

Comment

That is quite a step up. Step by step would be nice. I'm currently doing a 6G8 Twin and it is a challenge after doing a 5F2, 5E3, 5F10 and a couple other smaller amps. The 6G8 has a possible discrepancy on the layout verses the schematic that I will have to deal with soon. I'm taking my time and tracing out runs as I do themand I sometimes draw alternate views to clarify things in my mind. I'm not saying not to do it, but be prepared to think hard at times. It can be confusing. I was looking at the 5E8, but wanted 4 power tubes. Then I thought the vibrato might be fun. And now...?

I guess while I'm here I might as well ask if point A makes sense between the schematic and the layout. I haven't gotten to that yet but saw something weird there. One thing about this design is they don't show the filter pack layout and some associated components if i'm looking at it right.

http://www.webphix.com/schematic%20h..._6g8_schem.pdf

Sorry for the highjack, but hasserl may have a point.

Comment

it does look odd to me also, looks like the last tap "c" comes off a 27K 1 Watt dropping resistor, with a 20uf cap to filter and this is for the first two preamp tubes plates this is preceeded by 4 taps going to the power section side of the fibre board .. I do not see how (as the fender cap tanks I have experience with are wired tap, resistor,cap, next dropping resistor with a cap .. ect ...... so following the schematic it is odd to see tap "B" at 350vdc then that odd "A" then tap "C" also at 350vdc but after going thru a 27K? It must take a really large cap cover to handle 6 of those large 20uf 600vdc caps ! Maybe an owner of one of these jewels can better answer this.

Comment

It must take a really large cap cover to handle 6 of those large 20uf 600vdc caps !
              No kidding! I am putting this in a scrounged Randall 2x12 cabinet and I purchased a 3" x22" x 10" (approx) chassis and made a circuit board with the rectifier and filter sections at the front by the power transformers. That alone burned up the first 10"(approx). There is a vent in the top that is about 3"x 7" and I plan on putting a fan somewhere(?) to cool this pig. The board came out about 21" long so it's pretty snug in there. I tend to allow some liberal spacing between components and good separation between pre and power sections. I've got all the heater and transformer wiring complete and will be moving along the board soon. Thanks for taking a gander at this.
              Last edited by tboy; 03-25-2011, 04:34 AM. Reason: weirdness

Comment

I built one kit (Marsh Deluxe Reverb) that included a step by step guide. I still needed some basic help from this forum. The amp turned out great, despite some initial dumb mistakes on my part, which fortunately didn't fry any parts. After that, I felt confident enough to build amps without instructions. All you need is a clear schematic, and a layout schematic. It would be nice if the kit manufacturers included a grounding schematic that guarantees a quiet amp. Since they don't, you'll have to follow in the path of others who have built the same kit you intend to build. Ask the forum. Weber has nice clear schematics and layouts available online for the 5E8A and lots of other amps. Since this is your 2nd amp, you probably could build the 5E8A without specific instructions. Marsh is likely to have the best instructions, if you really need them. I built the Weber 5E8A, and it turned out fine.

Comment

Tube Amp Doctor Verstrker Rhren - Tubes and Amp Kits have a step by step photo documentary on their 5E8A kit page.

I agree with Hasserl...this isn't really a project I'd take on without considerable experience, but if you do get stuck, you can always come back here. Don't try and re-invent the wheel...the 5E8A circuit can be a bit fussy as regards layout, so aim to start with a "known good" datum.

Comment

Working...
                  X