Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 way Tele Setup?

Hi

Well, I want to make a set of pickups for a 4 way switch I just got for my Tele, but don't really know how I should go about winding them. I know a little, but don't know if I should wind them in the same direction and keep the same magnetic orientation for them. I don't really want to mess up, I only have a couple parts kits! Any help would be greatly appreciated, and happy holiday!

ER

You might as well flip the magnets on one of them. You don't have to wind them in reverse, you can just wire one up in reverse. But it's probably a good idea to reverse wind them so you have the start of the coils as ground.

That way you get hum cancelation when they are both on. Just make sure all your magnets are facing the same way.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
      You might as well flip the magnets on one of them. You don't have to wind them in reverse, you can just wire one up in reverse. But it's probably a good idea to reverse wind them so you have the start of the coils as ground.

That way you get hum cancelation when they are both on. Just make sure all your magnets are facing the same way.
      If you want the two single coil pickups to be in phase and hum cancelling you want the magnetic polarities to be opposite- so that the tops of the two pickups will stick together.

I consider that very important for the series linkage of the 4 way switch, which by its nature, amplifies all of the noise (as well as the signal).

And you want to run two signal leads and a ground from the neck pickup for the 4-way switching.

Steve Ahola

+1 for reverse winding one of the pickups. With my guitars whenever I have to reverse the leads it always seems like one of the pole pieces has continuity with the windings and will buzz like a sonofabush if I touch it...

EDIT I think I figured out your last statement- you meant facing the same way on each pickup- right? Since you did mention flipping the magnets at the beginning of your post... Sorry!
      The Blue Guitar
      www.blueguitar.org
      Some recordings:
      https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

I meant in the same pickup... as in pole pieces... you know, you want them all up north or south, not a mix of the two in the same pickup. I didn't make that clear.

Yeah, they have to be opposite for hum cancelation. He started by saying he was going to do both pickups the same, so I said "You might as well flip the magnets on one of them."

A few too many had I (in Yoda speak)
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Thanks guys, i'm gonna try it out today. Thanks!

ER

Comment

Working...
          X