Relay power supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relay power supply

I'm planning to use a pair of relays for a footswitchable overdrive circuit with front panel LED. The PT I have has a center tapped secondary at 190-0-190 and a 6V filament line. There's no 5V line or bias tap.

I intend to use one DPDT style relay for controling the signal path and a second relay for the LED function.

I'm wondering what the best way is to supply the coil current: tap a line off the HT or add a small dedicated transformer. Would adding the transformer have benefits that justify the added expense?

Is there any reason one type of relay device or arrangement would be favored over another? Higher voltage vs lower voltage coils? Parallel or series connection?

Small relays don't draw a lot, so I'd just rectify the 6VAC and make a relay supply from that. I am sure the tubes won't mind having it next door.

You could also use the one relay for the signal path, and just a couple small transistors for the LEDs. Cheaper than a second relay.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      Small relays don't draw a lot, so I'd just rectify the 6VAC and make a relay supply from that. I am sure the tubes won't mind having it next door.

You could also use the one relay for the signal path, and just a couple small transistors for the LEDs. Cheaper than a second relay.
      Someone you all know is rumored to hold a patent (one of many in his collection of patents on trivial circuits) on using rectified filament supply to drive relays in guitar amps
      Aleksander Niemand
      Zagray! amp- PG review Aug 2011
      Without the freedom to criticize, there is no true praise. -Pierre Beaumarchais, playwright (1732-1799)

Comment

Hasn't he patented filament supplies in general yet? I hear he plans to patent vacuum, so THEN what would we put in our tubes?
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          Hasn't he patented filament supplies in general yet? I hear he plans to patent vacuum, so THEN what would we put in our tubes?
          Simple, we patent absence of GAS in tubes
          Aleksander Niemand
          Zagray! amp- PG review Aug 2011
          Without the freedom to criticize, there is no true praise. -Pierre Beaumarchais, playwright (1732-1799)

Comment

A while ago, I posted a tripler circuit that generates +12V referenced to ground from a 6.3V heater winding centre-tapped to ground, using 4 diodes and 3 capacitors. I used it successfully to power channel switching relays in my Ninja-Deluxe. I can't find the original post, though. Maybe Randall Smith had it deleted
            "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Working...
            X