Good PAF tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi
    I just recorded with my guitar (Gibson 1985 Les Paul Custom) with Handwound PAF replicas I bought to a Pickup maker, I let you guess who is this pickup maker.
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6715068
    I recorded only with my vintage amp, an original 1969 Sound City 50+, without any effect, on the bright channel with the volume very high, (I needed to cover my ears) finally in this configuration, the neck pickup doesn't sound muddy at all.
    But I still really enjoy the bridge pickup. Much harmonics .

What do you think about it??
    Do you know where I bought those PAFs replica??
    Last edited by fjgaston; 07-13-2008, 05:55 PM.
    Let there be rock http://fjgaston.free.fr
    Guitars : 1965 Gibson melody maker, 1969 gibson SG, 1985 Gibson Les Paul, 1957 FEnder Duo Sonic, 1963 Fender Musimaster, Fender strange stratocaster, Gretsch mod solidbody, "la blue" the strangest guitar ever made; Effect : Disto Blaster; Amp : 1973 Hiwatted Sound City 50 +, 1970 Sound city 120, 1958 Fender Champ, 1969 Carlsbro, 1970 Carlsbro, 1966 EKO, Home made amp.

Comment

we give up.....tell us
      www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

Originally posted by kevinT View Post
        here is a clip of 2 of my PAF-style pickups.
        Sounds good... nice playing as well.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

thanks dave,

It is Jeff Flegler playing.
          www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

As far as neck pickups go. The best sounding neck pickup I ever heard, (IMHO) is the Rebel II made by GuitarForce. I've tried plenty of neck pickups and never heard one so clear and articulate, yet has a nice punch to it.
            God Bless

Comment

Kevin is one of the few boutique makers that machine winds which helps with clarity IMO. My guess is that the vast majority if not all of the pickups you tried from small makers were hand wound.
              They don't make them like they used to... We do.
              www.throbak.com
              Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

Don't know very much about pickup making. The ones that I tried were not all small winders. Some have been around for a while. Like I said, IMO it's excellent. I'm always looking to try something new though.
                Last edited by Weldaar; 07-14-2008, 11:55 PM.
                God Bless

Comment

Originally posted by fjgaston View Post
                  Hi
                  I just recorded with my guitar (Gibson 1985 Les Paul Custom) with Handwound PAF replicas I bought to a Pickup maker, I let you guess who is this pickup maker.
                  http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6715068
                  I recorded only with my vintage amp, an original 1969 Sound City 50+, without any effect, on the bright channel with the volume very high, (I needed to cover my ears) finally in this configuration, the neck pickup doesn't sound muddy at all.
                  But I still really enjoy the bridge pickup. Much harmonics .

What do you think about it??
                  Do you know where I bought those PAFs replica??
                  Very nice sound... congrats!

Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                  Milano, Italy
                  Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                  Milano, Italy

Comment

oops
                    God Bless

Comment

I liked the altvibro clip the best. I think it was Dave Stephens' neck pickup. Excellent tone Dave. I didn't care for the bridge though, too thin IMO. I like a thicker, more mids kind of bridge.
                      God Bless

Comment

The bridge in there is a real PAF, its wound to 7.7K a bit low for bridge but actually you get used to it real fast and the harder you dig in the fatter it sounds. The alt-vibro clip neck won't be produced, it used some magnet wire thats a little bit fatter in formvar single build and in the other amps its starting to lose the real PAF tones. sounds good in the vibrolux but that amp is cleaner and bigger sounding than my other amps. The other thiing different about it is it uses alnico 5 instead of 4 and I degaussed it down to what PAF magnets I have are measuring. There is something about alnico5 that works with this metal but doesn't work with stock parts suppliers sell, kind of a quacky tone that I like starts to sneak in more....
                        http://www.SDpickups.com
                        Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Don't shoot me for this but I never really liked the PAF bridge tone. I had many over the years as I am old. LOL They were quite common back in the 60's. I always liked them with some hair on them. I always had A-5's in my bridge pickups, ie, WCR Goodwood. GuitarForce Rebel II. I am becoming a big fan of the A-2 for the bridge pickups. Kevin makes a nice thick one called the Erupter. The problem I have is that if I set the amp to make the bridge sound the way I like, than the neck sounds woofy. That drives me crazy. That's why I like my bridge thicker so I can eq my amp to the neck and the bridge sounds good. Nuts huh?
                          Your neck sounds terrific. I would love to have one of those.
                          God Bless

Comment

Hey Jeff, an update, UPS came today right after I left about 5:25 today, darn it, the note they left said they would re-deliver between 10 am and 2 pm tomorrow, problem is I'll be at work then. I may have to go to UPS and pick it up at some point. They never ever come after 5 around here but the sure did today, arrrgh

Comment

Well, they are for sale :-) You can buy a single, I don't just sell sets. That one has no cover on it. Taking the cover off helps brighten 'em up if yours is covered. I haven't tried alnico 3 in the bridge in these yet, in my other sets alnico 3 really makes for a nice bridge tone, thickens it up, not sure it would work with this metal or not, thats next on my list of thousand things to try this week :-)
                              http://www.SDpickups.com
                              Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

I may just have to part with some dough LOL
                                Kevin's neck has a A-3 in it. Maybe that's why I like it so much.
                                God Bless

Comment

Working...
                                X