No announcement yet.

Good PAF tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shit, one thing I should of done was add more bass, also when he plays he has the volume pot rolled back and then dimes it for the solo, I just had it dimed and at a lower level, so my little lick doesn't compress like his does. Anyway, keep that in mind.....
    http://www.SDpickups.com
    Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

• Get an Edirol RO-9. Easy as pie to get a good recording in stereo. Bring it into Garage Band when done if you need to add anything like a bit of compression.
      They don't make them like they used to... We do.
      www.throbak.com
      Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

Yeah looking more for a mic than a recorder. When Belkin finally releases their Podcast Studio probably get one of those, there's some other iPod recorder not out yet thats even better and pretty cheap, just need a decent mic for now....
        http://www.SDpickups.com
        Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

• Nice one Possum, Like you say he used the vol to change the tone, but you really got all the good things about that tone going in that clip as it is. BRAVO

Comment

• Originally posted by Possum View Post
            ...Yeah looking more for a mic than a recorder...
            What about the 'ol standby, the SM57?
            -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

• Originally posted by greenfingers View Post
              The final whistle has gone on the amp thing now i hope, so all is right with the world. i thing you should kiss and make up, i bet you both love marshall's so thats something you can agree on....... "Take care of your self and each other"
              welll I could say more but this doesn't look like it's going nowhere productive so I'll bite my tongue unless there comes up some point to actually discuss. I'm not even actually into the Clapton/Bluesbreaker thing although I had some awareness because I like Marshalls and have been reading about them for a while now. BTW many thanks for those scans. The Page Les Paul and the "secret switches" was especially cool!

Comment

• Originally posted by Possum View Post
                Yeah looking more for a mic than a recorder. When Belkin finally releases their Podcast Studio probably get one of those, there's some other iPod recorder not out yet thats even better and pretty cheap, just need a decent mic for now....
                I recorded all of my clips on my site with a Studio Projects C3 mic in figure 8 pattern to get a little room ambiance out of one mic. Fullcompass has them for $300.00. It needs phantom power but for the money it's a great deal.
                They don't make them like they used to... We do.
                www.throbak.com
                Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

• Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
                  What about the 'ol standby, the SM57?
                  I was just going to say that. That's the mic you hear on all the Van Halen tracks. Just stick it right in front of the speaker.

Some people like large diaphragm mics for recordings amps, but I think they are a little too open sounding. Too much sizzle.

I think 57's are used on a lot of recordings. That was always my favorite live vocal mic for myself too. I still have two from the mid 70's.
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                  www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

• Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                    ...That's the mic you hear on all the Van Halen tracks...
                    That mic was used in loads of "hit" recordings going way back and beyond VH.

The reason I suggested it's use was as a playing field leveler since he wanted to recon his tones to other PAF tones, many of which were actually recorded with that mic.

Whether we like it or lump it, the 57 was actually designed for high presure levels, this is why it was used as the mic to place right in front of the speaker when mic'ing a cab in a high volume situation. It has a bass roll-off characteristic which lends itself to sounding clear even when being blasted with a full-blast 100w Marshall.

Ribbon's and condencer's have trouble with high pressure levels like that, if you have to use a decent mic on a cab, move it back away from the cab some distance.
                    (couple-o-feet or more)

I would agree with what others have said though, I tend to use alternative mic'ing mostly with large capsule condenser mics when I want to record the closest thing to reality. I only suggested the 57 because the "coloration" it does (and does well) is what a lot of folks liked about the guitar sounds recorded with it.
                    -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

• Yeah, I mentioned VH because people usually like his tone. But it's been used forever, on drums too.

The reason why an SM57 would be a good choice is it's a familiar tone. It rolls off either extreme, and has a nice presence peak at the top. So pretty much you can be sure of getting a similar tone as used on many recordings.

Nothing wrong with large diaphragm condensers of course. I like singing in '57's live, but I wouldn't record my vocals with one. I use a modded Oktava MK-319 I've had for a while.

A lot of the amp sims let you choose mics, and even reposition them.

I guess the main thing is get a nice tone on the recording. People can't always hear past things. I would record very flat recordings of bass as samples... not exactly a tone I would use, but very clear and useable, and people would say things like "that sounds like the bass un-amplified"

I took that as a compliment of course, as that was the idea!
                      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
                      X