Favorite 5E3 settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mbratch View Post
    I'm reading a lot of raves about "the blue" in the 5e3. I was hoping to get away with a less expensive speaker (maybe a reissue Jensen P12N or Weber 12A150-O) but it's getting harder to resist...

PP: What kind of speaker do you currently have in your Deluxe Reverb?
    mbratch, save your money and get the "Blue"... trust me on this one. I swore I'd never spend that much money on a new speaker, but I did and I've never looked back!

Comment

Originally posted by blueboxer View Post
      mbratch, save your money and get the "Blue"... trust me on this one. I swore I'd never spend that much money on a new speaker, but I did and I've never looked back!
      You drive a hard bargain.

I currently have a Weber AlNiCo Sig 12S which I like a whole lot. It has a nice chime and good general tone balance. I just want something that will be punchier (tighter + louder) and cut through a band mix better.

Comment

mbratch, regarding the speaker in my '67 DR, it's a Celestion G12H30 Anniversary model. I tried a Weber 150 something, the one that everyone loves in the DR, and I didn't like it nearly as much as the Celestion. That amp and speaker have a symbiotic thing going on that I can't describe; it's got it all. I can't wait to finish my 5E3 and get the cab and Celestion Blue together...I've got high expectations, which is dangerous...you know that they say expectations always kick your a##! But I'm expecting away...
        Thermionic vacuum devices rule.

Comment

You drive a hard bargain.

I currently have a Weber AlNiCo Sig 12S which I like a whole lot. It has a nice chime and good general tone balance. I just want something that will be punchier (tighter + louder) and cut through a band mix better.
          That's EXACTLY what the Celestion Alnico Blue will do for you! It's loud with plenty of punch and has nice clear chime as you roll back on the guitar's volume knob.

I first had a Weber AlNiCo Sig 12S in my 5E3 as well and the "Blue" blew it away...

Comment

That's EXACTLY what the Celestion Alnico Blue will do for you! It's loud with plenty of punch and has nice clear chime as you roll back on the guitar's volume knob.

I first had a Weber AlNiCo Sig 12S in my 5E3 as well and the "Blue" blew it away...
            OK, well it looks like I'll be doing my part to help stimulate the economy then soon.

Comment

OK, well it looks like I'll be doing my part to help stimulate the economy then soon.
              I promise that you will not regret it!!!

Comment

These are reputed to be very good: Warehouse Guitar Speakers | Product Detail

I still stand by the Weber Blue Dog, though. But speakers are so subjective anyway. Is the Celestion worth almost $200 more than the Weber? Only you can answer that. I haven't played my 5E3 through a Celestion Blue Dog, and blueboxer probably hasn't played a 5E3 through the Weber. Sorry, but you have to make your own decision here
                In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

I'm reading a lot of raves about "the blue" in the 5e3. I was hoping to get away with a less expensive speaker (maybe a reissue Jensen P12N or Weber 12A150-O) but it's getting harder to resist...
                  The Celestion Blue sounds really nice in a 5E3 but can't reliably be used at cranked stage levels. The Gold version sounds nearly the same and handles more than twice the power, it's IMO a much safer option if you gig often.

The Recoton Jensen P12N isn't worth the bother IMO.

Ted Weber has some really nice speakers for the 5E3, my fave is the 12A125, Ted's clone of the original Jensen P12Q.Some prefer the O or S versions for a slightly more modern sound.

Another option is the Eminence Red Coat Red Fang, which is voiced quite like a Blue, handles as much power as the Gold and costs much less. It's large glued bell cover can be a problem with some combos using largish 6V6's such as the JJ's or a non standard chassis.such as the 6" wide Hammond used by a lot of builders.

Comment

Originally posted by cminor9 View Post
                    These are reputed to be very good: Warehouse Guitar Speakers | Product Detail

I still stand by the Weber Blue Dog, though. But speakers are so subjective anyway. Is the Celestion worth almost $200 more than the Weber? Only you can answer that. I haven't played my 5E3 through a Celestion Blue Dog, and blueboxer probably hasn't played a 5E3 through the Weber. Sorry, but you have to make your own decision here

Actually, I stated earlier in the thread that I have indeed tried the Weber along with Jensen and some others... the Celestion won out and yes it's definitely worth $200. I thought I'd never say it but it's true!!!

Comment

Ok, found a good price on a new Celestion Blue, cleared the expense through my accounting department (wife), and placed the order. Speaker's "in the mail".

PremiumPlus, keep us posted on your experience when you get setup. We'll compare notes.

Comment

Soundslikefun
                        Hope you like your Blue...keep us posted with your reaction to it!

Comment

I told my wife, as part of my justification, that people on the internet told me this speaker would make my Tweed amp sound amazing. She just laughed.

Comment

mbratch, you're busting me up! That's the spirit, buddy, tell her we said it is okay!!! If she has any further questions just say that PremiumPlus said that it is all good, and she can call me if there are any further concerns.
                            PS, I got my chassis and transformer, now I can start wiring it...it is going to be about two more weeks before I get the Mojo cab and the Celestion Blue though...you'll probably have yours before I get mine up. Enjoy!

Comment

Actually, I stated earlier in the thread that I have indeed tried the Weber along with Jensen and some others... the Celestion won out and yes it's definitely worth $200. I thought I'd never say it but it's true!!!
                              Cool then, I stand corrected. Someone earlier brought up the fact that a 5E3 might fry a Blue. Be careful with that thing!
                              In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

Originally posted by cminor9 View Post
                                Someone earlier brought up the fact that a 5E3 might fry a Blue. Be careful with that thing!
                                I believe they were speaking hypothetically. I haven't been too worried because:
                                1. The stock 5E3 circuit is rated 12-15 watts (I think closer to 12?)
                                2. The Blue is conservatively rated (so "they say")
                                3. I don't run my amps on 10 much.

But that all said: I will be a little cautious.
                                For the record, if anyone here has blown up a Blue with their standard 5E3, please say so now.

I feel a new Haiku poem coming...

Wall of sound, then fizzle
                                This $300 speaker dies
                                so beautifully

Comment

Working...
                                X