No announcement yet.

Favorite 5E3 settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The stock 5E3 circuit is rated 12-15 watts (I think closer to 12?)
    A stock 5E3 can put out around 18 distorted watts. What is the energy content of a near square wave compared to the plain vanilla sine used for power measurements?

The Blue is conservatively rated (so "they say")
    The check is in the mail;
    I'm from the government, I'm here to help you;
    Click here to remove your name from our mailing list;
    Etc.

I don't run my amps on 10 much.
    No need to with a 5E3, whcih goes up to full power on 3 (OK, it all depends on the actual build), anything above 3 is added disto.

Comment

That's all well and good, but I still have not heard a single report of someone blowing up their Celestion Blue in a 5E3.

Also, I believe I've seen Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr's stocked with CB's on occasion.
      Last edited by mbratch; 05-15-2009, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Cool then, I stand corrected. Someone earlier brought up the fact that a 5E3 might fry a Blue. Be careful with that thing!
        FWIW, I've run my Blue pretty hard for a while and have had no issues whatsoever... it's a very robust 15 watt speaker.

I have a friend who's had a Blue in his 5E3 build for about 3 years now and plays it pretty hard at weekly gigs and has had no problems at all. He's running the heavier Mercury Magnetics iron in his too.

Consider this, the Vox AC30 has two "Blues" in it and it's rated @ 30 watts.

Comment

That's all well and good, but I still have not heard a single report of someone blowing up their Celestion Blue in a 5E3.
          Well, it's your amp, your speaker, your choice. Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by fyl View Post
            Ted Weber has some really nice speakers for the 5E3, my fave is the 12A125, Ted's clone of the original Jensen P12Q.Some prefer the O or S versions for a slightly more modern sound.
            Ted offers the O, A, and S. Have you tried some of these? Specifically how would you compare the sound in the 5E3? Also, have you tried the 12A150? When talking with Ted, it was the one he suggested for the 5E3, but I had seen many report on them, mostly 12A125. Thanks.

I've been reading other reviews of the Blue in a 5E3. In a couple of cases, some players have found them perhaps a little too dark for humbucker guitars. Since I plan to use my ES-347 with this amp occasionally, I'll be checking for that. I've read that the Weber speaker with an "A" cone (like the 12A150A) is brighter.
            Last edited by mbratch; 05-16-2009, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Ted offers the O, A, and S. Have you tried some of these?
              I've tried O and S versions in their 30w guise (heavier voice coils, less chime).

The O sounds too distorted at stage levels for my liking, and the S is slightly too fat.

Some people love this kind of sound, but I believe that a 5E3 should be an old school raw amp, not a modern disto box or a rumbler.

Also, have you tried the 12A150? When talking with Ted, it was the one he suggested for the 5E3, but I had seen many report on them, mostly 12A125.
              The 12A150 sounds quite close to the real Jensen P12N : really nice, detailed, very tight in the bass, but I prefer the 12A125 when used with guitars fitted with vintage single coils.

Ditto for real Jensen speakers : the original P12Q is one of the best IMO, with the rare P12P (basically a Q motor with a 1"½ VC, halfway between the Q and the N) being the overall best compromise for most playing styles.

I've been reading other reviews of the Blue in a 5E3. In a couple of cases, some players have found them perhaps a little too dark for humbucker guitars.
              The Blue isn't dark. Humbuckers are the problem : the 5E3 was designed for vintage single coils. Just lower the values of the coupling caps, tighten the supply, and the amp will be humbucker-friendly.

I've read that the Weber speaker with an "A" cone (like the 12A150A) is brighter.
              I've limited experience with the A versions. They seem to be tighter and more extended, not really brighter, with compression kicking in quite fast. Not the kind of sound I'm looking for.

Comment

Thanks for elaborating fyl. Before I purchased the blue (which I have yet to receive) I took a hard look at the Webers and I may still try one. I really do like the sound of the Sig 12S, it just doesn't cut a mix live very well. What I am aiming for is to be able to play somewhat clean (just a slight crunch, given it's a 5E3), then turn up the guitar volume for more overdrive on demand.

I do plan to change the .1s to .022s and see how that works. And after experimenting, I may end up trying some in between (.047s). My ES347 isn't really horrible in the current configuration. But I wouldn't want it sounding any darker or heavier than it does now.

When you say you prefer the 12A125 with vintage single coils, what is it specifically you like versus the 12A150? My other guitar is a Fender Strat with Suhr V60LPs which I use quite a lot as well.
                Last edited by mbratch; 05-16-2009, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X