Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matchless EF86 Channel from DC30 (for Spitfire)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matchless EF86 Channel from DC30 (for Spitfire)

I am looking to tweak my Spitfire homebrew and am thinking about changing it to be a 15 watt version of the DC30 EF86 channel. I just never seem to use it, as I play mostly strats and the thing just isn't round enough in comparison with the other amps I have built.

I have the schematic, but I am wondering if anyone knows an appropriate part number for the tone switch.

Additionally, if anyone has any experience with the EF86 tone in this Matchless configuration. Would it be fatter & warmer than a stock Spitfire, more or less distortion? Would it take to overdrive pedals better (like the EF86 Dr Z amps seem to do)?, etc, etc.

Thanks

Greg

EF86 performance

Greg, I built a DC30 preamp section coupled to a cathode biased 6v6 power amp. (gibson GA30).
    To be honest I don't care for the ef86 channel. it has gain, the tone switch does work, albeit subtly. The distortion side seems to be edgy not overly harmonically rich, when compared to the adjacent 12ax7 circuit. I think the additional triodes in the ax7 circuit gives a more pleasing sound . The EF86 side has a bit more gain but not as good of grind ( if that's what your looking for.)IMO:-). I wired the circuit identical to the Matchless schematic . There have been several posts regarding circuit tweaks tube changes etc. I have not done that. For my strat, I tube-scream in on the ax7 side. great distorted strat sound, AB box to the Chieftain clone for clean beef.
    Hope that helps Cgiff.

Comment

Working...
    X