No announcement yet.

Tone Knob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, before I ask another question, thanks for all your help. I wound up going with the CIJ Jaguar HH Special, and it is pretty wicked. I put in a pair of GFS Mean 90s, and it sounds similar to David Gilmour's Tuxedo Strat from Comfortably Numb (the most recent live version where he's sixty-some, you can see it on youtube) except with a fatter sound. I can't do a side-by-side comparison, but I'm pretty certain that its fairly similar to what an SS Jaguar is supposed to sound like.

So I understood a lot of what you're saying, but before going with a wildly complicated setup like the one that started this topic, i went through a series of my grandfather's old capacitors, and found a couple i really liked and put those on. For the lead circuit, i put in an Aerovox paper condenser, 0.033 MFD, which simply made it less bright and had a very nice effect.

The rhythm circuit i had a little more trouble with. With the original pickups, I put in a ceramic capacitor (no idea what the value is) and this .0022 MFD ELMENCO cap, which looks like it has a pvc cover. These essentially shifted the range down, makeing it darker without loosing any body. This is a work in progress with the new pickups.

Now I have another question. I decided that I'd like to have a separate volume knob for each pickup, so i split the signal at the switches and wired up separate high-pass filters for each pickup, then i switched the volume and the tone pot so the volume pots were in front of the tone. I enclosed a diagramme of what I meant to do. Almost everything works perfectly, except for these. When i turn down the neck pickup knob, the neck pickup volume goes down. But when I turn down the bridge pickup, both volumes go down. Looking at the theoretical diagramme, is there anything i did that would cause it to do that, or did i do something when i actually wired it to cause this?

The second problem is, when the volume is up and i'm not touching the strings, even with both pickups on (which causes a humbucking effect) i get this horible buzzing noise. The worst part of this is that when i turn down both volumes, it does the same, which it doesn't do when i turn down the volume of the rhythm circuit. anyone know how to get rid of that

The last but most minor issue is, for the neck volume pot, I accidentally reversed the ground and in wires, so the pot works backwards. This shouldn't be a problem should it?

Thank you for your help.
    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
    X