Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tubenit View Post
    Bruce,

Regarding shutting off the dry signal ........... (if I am not understanding what you are saying, please correct me).

EDIT: Bruce was pointing out an error in how I had drawn the dwell pot and the cap going to it. I have redrawn
    the last two schematics and layouts. He was correct that the way I had drawn them would have killed the dry signal.
    The Verb O Champ II & Verb O Champ III schematic now show how I have this done on my current amps and it works fine.

I have this reverb circuit with dwell on each of my 3 amps. After reading your post, I plugged in and checked out my memory. I can turn the dwell all one way and then all the other way and it has NO impact on tone or volume at any level that I can tell. Obviously, it does change the amount of reverb and can shut the reverb off but not change the volume or tone.

With respect, Tubenit
    Yes you are right, with the wiper on the grid of the 12AT7, turning the pot any direction still holds the 1M resistance on the dry side of the mixer resistor.
    Thanks for all the good artwork.
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

Hi Tubenit

Where do you get the software for SCH schematics?
      Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

SCH files

This is FREE schematic drawing software you can download. AND if you draw up something, there is a program to convert to a PCB board if you like. It is VERY easy to use this program.

http://www.expresspcb.com/

However, you either have to create some of your own symbols like tubes and input jacks .....OR simply click on one of the editable schematics and save what someone else has drawn as a custom component.

Under the Library of components favorites there are typical resistors, caps, electrolytic caps, diodes, transformers, etc.... already drawn.

I like it cause you can share a visual of one's ideas. And it has taught me alot about amp design and reading schematics. It's worthwhile to learn. It's also a great way of keeping a solid record of your tweaks to reference or share with others.

Here are about 80+ editable schematics covering many Fender, Gibson, and other amps...... plus custom designs and concept amps not yet built.

http://www.el34world.com/Forum/index.php?board=12.0

From that list of schematics, I am currently owning and playing:

Carolina Blues Rocket
        http://www.el34world.com/Forum/index.php?topic=3947.0

Little Wing Reverb (I have more compliments on this than any of the 14 amps I've built)
        http://www.el34world.com/Forum/index.php?topic=3963.0

Texas Raptor
        http://www.el34world.com/Forum/index.php?topic=2442.0

(& my closest friend has the Carolina Blues Special which is a fantastic sounding amp and an easy build)
        http://www.el34world.com/Forum/index.php?topic=565.0

With respect, Tubenit

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the answers and tips!

Comment

Fender Musicmaster Bass Amp w/Reverb?

Yeah, I drew them up for this thread. Having said that, I have over 100 editable SCH schematics and layouts so it's pretty easy to do. I usually can find a schematic I have and alter it in about 10-20 minutes into something else.

Some people work crossword puzzles ........ I draw schematics. What's ironic is that 5 yrs ago, I could NOT read a schematic and even tell what was a resistor or capacitor.

Just a hobbyist and have had zero actual training in electronics. Learned by reading the net and experimenting alot.

with respect, Tubenit
            I read this post and was wondering since the chassis on my Fender Musicmaster Bass amp is the same size as the Champ, perhaps you could help me with translating a schematic to add reverb to it? I've got two of these amps, I love them. I carry my Silverface Tube Reverb unit on gigs but I'd love to add a real tube spring reverb to these amps. Since I have two, I'd like to give it a try. Thank you in advance! Regards, Paul sigmon@sysmatrix.net

Comment

I read this post and was wondering since the chassis on my Fender Musicmaster Bass amp is the same size as the Champ, perhaps you could help me with translating a schematic to add reverb to it? I've got two of these amps, I love them. I carry my Silverface Tube Reverb unit on gigs but I'd love to add a real tube spring reverb to these amps. Since I have two, I'd like to give it a try. Thank you in advance! Regards, Paul sigmon@sysmatrix.net
              There is quite a bit of information about adding a one tube reverb here:

Adding 1-tube reverb - Hoffman Ampifiers Guitar Tube amp forum

With respect,Tubenit

Comment

Did this amp ever get built?

Layout. Check for errors and consistency with schematic.

Tubenit
                This is very interesting!
                Has anyone completed this build yet?

Comment

Originally posted by bobthebuilder View Post
                  This is very interesting!
                  Has anyone completed this build yet?
                  It's been done many times in many ways. A 12at7 makes for decent drive and recovery. I prefer a 12dw7. Using the au7 side as a driver and the ax7 side for recovery. But it's a less common tube. Doing it with one tube will always mean sacrificing dry signal gain for mixing unless the stock circuit can be modified for an increase in gain.

Ooogle: champ add reverb

Then go to Ooogle images and you'll find some schematics for how guys have done it.
                  "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                  You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                    It's been done many times in many ways. A 12at7 makes for decent drive and recovery. I prefer a 12dw7. Using the au7 side as a driver and the ax7 side for recovery. But it's a less common tube. Doing it with one tube will always mean sacrificing dry signal gain for mixing unless the stock circuit can be modified for an increase in gain.

Ooogle: champ add reverb

Then go to Ooogle images and you'll find some schematics for how guys have done it.
                    +1. And if you want cool kid points these days, consider building/modding a Vibro-Champ Reverb.

Comment

Honestly... Use a pedal. No overhead in a Champ. Distorted reverb sucks.

Comment

Didn't Gretsch make the Recording Compact, or whatever? My friend got one for $600. Sweet little amp, Verb, Trem, and I think a 12" speaker. 1 6V6 output & 4 AX7s. It's pretty durn clean, too, for a Champ. He uses it in tandem with a Reverberocket II for jazz. The schem is out there.

Justin
                        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
                          Honestly... Use a pedal. No overhead in a Champ. Distorted reverb sucks.
                          Even better... Put a line out on the Champ, Run that to a reverb and into another Champ One for dry and one for reverb.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

"Yeah, just add more amps!"

Said no sound guy, EVER! Hell, screw the sound guy, <I> like it.

Justin
                            "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                            "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                            "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
                              "Yeah, just add more amps!"

Said no sound guy, EVER! Hell, screw the sound guy, <I> like it.

Justin
                              One of my customers has three of my amps (which is 25% of my total product ) I went to one of his bands shows and asked the sound guy "So, which of John's amps do you like best?" And he said "The small one."

Comment

Working...
                              X