Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this circuit ok or has it been hacked? Please advise (vintage tube amp)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this circuit ok or has it been hacked? Please advise (vintage tube amp)

I have a '60 Guild 99-J amp that I am overhauling. The actual circuit is different from the schematic that I have retrieved from another forum.
    Attached you find the schematic with the differences that I have noted in my amp (red lettering = my amp).
    As you can see there are many mismatches which were caused by one or more of the following: (a) a poorly drawn schematic, (b) a different version of the amp, (c) the result of a previous tech's job. Surely several components do not look original.
    Besides the different value of many resistors, which is probably a minor issue, the following issues look to me like the most critical:
    - input jacks wiring (note the 470k grid stoppers);
    - treble/bass pot junction;
    - the 220k resistor on the cathode of V3;
    - a 25/50 cathode bypass cap on the power tubes instead of a "100P" cap;
    - an additional 30u filtering stage (corresponding .05 cap in the original schem missing);
    - missing .001 cap on the pin 1 plate of V3;
    - two 10u filter caps increased to 30u;
    - solid state rectifier marked "GZ34";
    - a replacement power tranny with 230V primary (this amp comes from the UK);
    - additional second speaker jack (4ohm?).

The power tranny has got three 6.3V secondaries with different current supply but no 5V secondary for rectifier tube heaters. Thus for the moment I cannot use a GZ34.
    I'd love to have your comments on the mismatches, i.e. may the amp live as it is or should anything be corrected?
    So far I have replaced all the electrolytic caps (including the additional 40u stage that is missing in the schem) and a few drifted resistors.
    The original old Jensen speaker unfortunately is blown or shorted. The amp sounds good through another speaker, but definitely less loud than expected from a 2x6L6 p/p power section with a rather beefy output tranny.
    I want it to sound like it should, i.e. not through a modified or less than optimal circuit.
    Attached Files
    Carlo Pipitone

Please help---

Anyone...?
    Carlo Pipitone

Comment

Who knows what it "should" sound like, Carlo. Like any amp, it sounds OK or it doesn't. Make it sound good to your ear, it might sound better than whatever the original was.

Most of those changes look harmless, or subtle, or possible evolution of the amp, or even just expedient. I don't know why it shouldn't work OK.

Is there a rectifier tube socket still? I'd suspect someone put a new transformer in it to use on 230v mains. They couldn't find one with a 5v winding, so they went to a solid state rectifier. That alters the sound some, but plenty of fine amps have solid state rectifiers.

The missing .001 at V3 pin 1 could be elsewhere. It is drawn there, but note the line it connects to snakes all th way up to V2. Got a .001 somehwere else that seems out of place? it is not critical anyway.

There is a 25uf cap bypasing the power tube cathode resistor instead of the 100uf in the schematic. DOn't hink it matters much. The "P" I believe just identifies which section of the can it was, not part of the value. Like the square and triangle for other sections.

Extra filtering won't hurt it. Might do it some good.

AMp loudness is not about power, it is about gain, sensitivity, speaker efficiency. Look at the circuit. There is ONE triode for an input, and from there directly to the phase inverter. Not only that but there is a tone stack in there eating more volume. I wouldn't expect this to be a screamer.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thank you Enzo.
        My main concern was about any possible risk of damage with the circuit as it is. I was wondering if the amp should be put back to specs (that is, back to the schematic).
        Unfortunately I haven't found any different version of this schematic to check against my amp.
        I am happy to read that the amp can be used as it is anyway.
        Carlo Pipitone

Comment

All the changes are little incremental changes, the same sort of thing guys on this board do to amps all the time.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by slidincharlie (Carlo P) View Post
            Thank you Enzo.
            My main concern was about any possible risk of damage with the circuit as it is. I was wondering if the amp should be put back to specs (that is, back to the schematic).
            Unfortunately I haven't found any different version of this schematic to check against my amp.
            I am happy to read that the amp can be used as it is anyway.
            I have yet to work on a Gibson amp that matched the schematic.

-DC

Comment

Amen.

Comment

Working...
              X