Hi-fi Speakers for PA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi-fi Speakers for PA

I've got quite high quality stereo speaker called Jamo D 365 with 3 speakers in it. I was thinking of taking the tweeter and the crossover and build a single cabinet for my Hagstr?m PA-100.

Now, I've already got two mid/bass speakers in a cabinet. Do you think the crossover and tweeter could work in a PA used for vocals?

Jamo D 365
    Rated power: 200
    Music power: 365
    IEC: 84
    Frequency range: 35 – 20000
    Impedance: 4 – 8
    B 45, H 78, D 33
    Attached Files

I wouldn't. You may get by with it for a while, but home speaker components are not designed for hard-core PA abuse. Unless levels are carefully managed, with proper compression and wattage to the tweeters, I predict failure. Do you think they can handle things like dropped mics, high-volume feedback, and powerful transients that most PA's occasionally endure? They were designed to reproduce mixed and level-managed music.

Also, I would assume that the crossover points in that crossover for those tweeters in that cab were chosen to compliment the cab design and components for a smooth crossover transition. Do your Low/Mid cabs have the same frequency plots? I doubt it. What this means is that if your PA cabs have a lower mid cutoff point at the top of the mids range than the original cab's, then the crossover designed for the original cabs won't allow the tweeters to go LOW enough to transition smoothly. There will be a hole in the frequency between the top of the hi-mid and the low of the highs. EQ can't save that, if there is nothing there to work on. Make sense?

Conversely, if the high end of the mids of the PA go higher than the crossover point of the original cabs' crossover network, then you may be reinforcing the frequencies by adding together those that exist in the top of the PA mids, and the bottom of the tweeters.

EQ may be able to tame this, if you attenuate the bottom of the highs, and the top the mids so they don't harsh out.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend it. Using home stereo components for PA more often than not will result in disappointment. Buy some proper PA horns, and an active crossover.

Just my thoughts.

Brad1

Comment

Working...
    X