Applying Negative Feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying Negative Feedback

Any advice on how to do this in a standard push-pull 6L6 output stage and a long-tail PI? I tried it, applying a 820ohm resistor from the OT secondary back to the PI and I got a HORRIBLE screeching sound. Louder than all get out. Any help would be nice

Look at the 6G3, 6G5, 6G5A, 6G9B, 6G16 or the 5F6A, ab165, aa763, ab763 (and many more besides)
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

The feedback path you created was not negative, it was positive feedback - and that makes oscillation, the sound you heard.

"back to the PI" is not specific. That is about like saying I measured voltage on a pin of a tube. Without more specific information we can't tell what you did. Look at teh examples.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

i basically took it from the BF Bandmaster, applying an 820ohm resistor from the green wire on the output jack back to the 22k tail resistor of the PI

Comment

Switch the cables from the output tubes to the OT around so the feedback becomes negativ and it will work.

Comment

you mean reverse the OT leads?

Comment

Originally posted by EETStudent View Post
              you mean reverse the OT leads?
              to the tubes, yes, that will switch the phase 180 at the output/speaker/feedback to the pi and get it right.

Comment

Assuming you're not trying to apply too much feedback, in which case it'll oscillate no matter which way you hook up the OT leads. 820 ohms implies a LOT of feedback.
                "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
                  Assuming you're not trying to apply too much feedback, in which case it'll oscillate no matter which way you hook up the OT leads. 820 ohms implies a LOT of feedback.
                  820ohms over 100ohms if its a bandmaster pi. thats not a lot of feedback.

Comment

Oh, the OP never mentioned that he took the whole PI from the Bandmaster. The feedback amount is set by the ratio of those resistors. 820 and 100 ohms suggests a closed-loop gain of about 9, which isn't so bad. If he used another PI with a larger resistor than 100 ohms in that position, the feedback could be a lot more.
                    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Working...
                    X