Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can single coil pickups be potted with thier covers on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can single coil pickups be potted with thier covers on?

I?m asking because I made the coil of my neck pickup so fat that it was there and there to get the cover on to the pickup (loose winds).

Janne

No, It will melt the cover, or heat it to a point ware it will lose it's shape.

Comment

Thanks for answering. It looks like I will have to pot them without the covers and maybe grind the covers if they don?t fit after potting.

Janne

Comment

Originally posted by jpm83 View Post
        Thanks for answering. It looks like I will have to pot them without the covers and maybe grind the covers if they don?t fit after potting.

Janne
        What are you potting with? There shouldn't be that much wax on the pickup after potting that the cover doesn't fit. You might have to scrape off a bit of wax from the pole pieces, but the coil is the thing that needs potted.

Comment

After you pot use tape to wrap the coil to protect it when you put the cover on or the cover will tear the coil. sort of a pickup condom :-)
          http://www.SDpickups.com
          Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I potted those pickups with beeswax and paraffin mix about 20% of beeswax. I had the tapes already on the coils and the potting was a success I pressed the coil while it was still a bit warm to get it a bit tighter and it worked OK.

Janne

Comment

Working...
            X