Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12VAC 500mA Class 2 transformer blew. What can I replace it with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12VAC 500mA Class 2 transformer blew. What can I replace it with?

I have a Van-amps sole mate reverb and I added some extra resistance to the mix and dwell pots and I'm not getting power after I let it run for about an hour the leds quit. I checked the leads on the power supply with my meter, it should be 12VAC and it read 3VAC ... Also the power supply was very hot. I think the power supply needs to be replaced . ... can I replace it with any Class 2 12VAC transformer? Like one rated at 1000mA instead of 500mA? I imagine the extra current surplus might allow my modification to work without overheating the transformer. Also ... on the input the transformer says 120VAC 60HZ 18W ... but some of the 12VAC transformers I've seen say 120VAC 60HZ 36W. Does the input wattage matter as far as the transformer working for my circuit? What does Class 2 even mean?

Thanks, I hope to got its the transformer and not the Sole-mate pedal; that thing was expensive.

Was your only mod to "add resistance?" The reason I ask is that it seems that whatever you did had "pulled down" the transformer by increasing the current draw. Have you tried to unhook the tranny secondary leads and then measure the voltage? If you do so and it returns to normal then I suspect that something's funky in your mods.

As to you other questions yes you can replace your currrent PT with a higher rated unit without out problem and it will give you some reserve margin. But if your mods are either pulling down or have damaged the orginal tranny then having twice the current will only probably result in something going up in flames. First you've got to fix whatever either pulled down or killed the original tranny.

Rob

Comment

Working...
    X