Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RC coupling, I am confused!

Hi to all!
    I am currently designing my first ever amp. To assist me I have an electronics training manual issued to army and navy recruits in the early 1960s (why not airforce?) and help from people on the interweb.
    I have no previous electronics experience, which is why some of my questions will probably seem a bit silly.

Please bear in mind, I am designing at this stage so do not yet know for definite things like what valves will be in the power amp... I must design the preamp section first!!!

Signal coming from my first triode goes through a resistor and a capacitor before being fed to the grid of the next triode. That's ok, I get that. How do you choose the value of the resistor and the cap? I know what they're there to do and have them indicated on my evolving schematic, but do not know how to choose the values because...

I have been told that the value should be determined by the type and performance of the valve that I am using and that this can vary even between different manufacturer's versions of the same valve. Which would mean that until I was ready to build the thing and purchased the valves I would not be able to calculate the required value beacause I wouldn't know how the valves would perform. That can't be right surely?

I am assuming that the resistor value will need to increase between each subsequent valve because the signal will be larger and so need to be reduced more to prevent overloading the lext valve? If so is there a method of calculating the correct value given that the valve data should enable me to work out how much the signal will be increased by and since I know what I will need as an input level for the next grid I should be able to calculate the size of resistor needed?
    Last edited by Spookyman; 07-30-2008, 12:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Simple answer: 1 meg and 0.022uF for preamp tubes, 220k and 0.1uF for power tubes.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Go to http://www.freewebs.com/valvewizard1/gainstage.html and read the download http://www.freewebs.com/valvewizard1...Gain_Stage.pdf
      Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

The values depend on what the amps gonna sound like. There is no correct values here. If you have no knowledge. You just have to experiment.

Comment

First off pay no attention to any BS about different manufacturers and issues from the same manufacturer. While there are some small differences it's not worth worrying about for a newby and most of it is subjective caca provided by someone who's attempting to remove as much cash from your pocket as possible. Once you're more experienced you can tweak values to emulate specific tonal colors and responses but it's really not worth the sweat initially. Secondly find a copy of the one of the RCA Receiving Tube Manuals - or an other manufacturer's equivalent - and use the RC coupled amp values provided for a particular tube/valve type for your designs. Yes, I realize that you are going to have to use voltage gains and frequency limits that have be arbitrarily selected by some now long dead engineer but this will provide you with guidelines you can then tweak to your own satisfaction as you learn. In addition to this a great British tome is "Amplifiers" by H. Lewis York - a small thin book that covers more about audio amplifier design in the fewest concisely written clear pages possible. And if you do a google search it's now available on the net free as an acrobat download as are the RCA tube manuals - RC 30 is a good one but doesn't cover some older tubes that I fool with.

Rob

Comment

Also take a look here for some more basics in amp design:
            http://www.audioxpress.com/resource/...lass/index.htm

Between Merlin's (Valve Wizard) site, and this one, you should be in pretty good shape!

Comment

I'd go from 0 to 1 meg on the resistor and 50pf to .01uf on the cap. Somewhere in there......
              Hey, I've done it.

Comment

Working...
              X