No announcement yet.

What do you use to magnatize a magnet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you use to magnatize a magnet?

Hi There,

Im just curious as to what you use to magnatize your Alnico Magnets to specific levels. I can't see how you could get any precision out of rubbing a bar magnet on a larger magnet. I saw in the seymore duncan videos that they actually have a machine they call a "Magnatizer". Something like that must be expensive!

I think im going to buy myself a gauss meter as well. In researching here someone recommended the GM200A from Carlsen Melton.

belwar

Originally posted by belwar View Post
    Hi There,

Im just curious as to what you use to magnatize your Alnico Magnets to specific levels. I can't see how you could get any precision out of rubbing a bar magnet on a larger magnet. I saw in the seymore duncan videos that they actually have a machine they call a "Magnatizer". Something like that must be expensive!

I think im going to buy myself a gauss meter as well. In researching here someone recommended the GM200A from Carlsen Melton.

belwar
    Any strong magnet can induce enough magnetization in an alnico rod magnet so that when the rod is removed from the strong field, its magnetization then drops to a fixed value determined by the physics of the material.

Comment

I think at least two winders here have commercial magnetizers, but most use a couple of neodymium magnets in a jig.

Neos are strong enough to charge alnico rods. I actually improved the charge on a cheap ceramic magnet.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
        I think at least two winders here have commercial magnetizers, but most use a couple of neodymium magnets in a jig.

Neos are strong enough to charge alnico rods. I actually improved the charge on a cheap ceramic magnet.
        You mean this??
        Attached Files

Comment

Cool. Who makes those things and what do they cost, if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

http://www.magnetsource.com/Solution...etizrsetc.html
            Attached Files

Comment

Nitewinder your magnetizer is ugly, damn!
              Just kidding. They cost around $600 shipped.
              http://www.SDpickups.com
              Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

For Alnico 3, 2, 5, two strongs neo is enough to fully charge your magnets. You might want to use another magnet to demagnetize them to the desired level.

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
                  Nitewinder your magnetizer is ugly, damn!
                  Just kidding. They cost around $600 shipped.
                  I think those machine magnetized magnets don't sound as PAF-y as the hand magnetized magnets....

That could be the next pointless argument here. Then someone will find Gibson's original magnetizer and put that to rest.

But then surly Gibson and Fender had some old women with vests covered in magnets for the job....
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by david schwab View Post
                    i think those machine magnetized magnets don't sound as paf-y as the hand magnetized magnets.... :d

that could be the next pointless argument here. Then someone will find gibson's original magnetizer and put that to rest.

But then surly gibson and fender had some old women with vests covered in magnets for the job....
                    Yeah Baby!
                    -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

LOL, yep!! You know it!! Thats funny you say that, I used stew macs Neos to degauss after full saturation. This way you can really control the percentage and see just how consistant your magnets are when fully charged after with the same sizing. Anyone got any info on how Gibby frat boys charged their mags anyway- WHere's Gundry when you need him!!!

Comment

What Gaussmeter does everyone use here?

I seem to remember the Carlsen Melton GM-200A mentioned.

Comment

oops

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                          What Gaussmeter does everyone use here?

I seem to remember the Carlsen Melton GM-200A mentioned.
                          Its a reallly nice toy, but does not like being droped down a 3 stories of stairs- Been there, done that. Took out my extech that way also. $600 bo-bo

Comment

Originally posted by NightWinder View Post
                            Its a reallly nice toy, but does not like being droped down a 3 stories of stairs- Been there, done that. Took out my extech that way also. $600 bo-bo
                            I remember that incident!

Comment

[QUOTE=David Schwab;68859]What Gaussmeter does everyone use here? QUOTE]

I was sooo happy to see the Duncan Factory tour on YouTube. They used the same low-tech R.B.Annis old-school mechanical Gauss-meter as I do. They even had the same ?N and S scribbled on the glass with a felt pen?-mod as I have. If it is good enough for them I don?t need to upgrade yet. (I don?t mean that Duncan is the best company or anything, but they are a bit more professional than me?)

Comment

Working...
                              X