What do you use to magnatize a magnet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by devnull View Post
    I'm new to this, but I looked on the StewMac site and didn't find any Neo magnets. Can anyone point me to a site?

Thanks.
    Several months ago all found at stew mac was the little round ones (Click HERE) However I couldnt do SQUAT with them. All I did was ruin some nice bar magnets I had. I believe that you need a larger magnet where you can place the whole edge along one face with the appropriate pole.. i.e. a 2.5" long south face to charge/degauss a 2.5" long magnet.

You can buy different neos from McMaster Carr. Mcmaster is the greatest thing since sliced bread in my opinion! Heres a link

Comment

Originally posted by belwar View Post
      Several months ago all found at stew mac was the little round ones (Click HERE) However I couldnt do SQUAT with them. All I did was ruin some nice bar magnets I had. I believe that you need a larger magnet where you can place the whole edge along one face with the appropriate pole.. i.e. a 2.5" long south face to charge/degauss a 2.5" long magnet.

You can buy different neos from McMaster Carr. Mcmaster is the greatest thing since sliced bread in my opinion! Heres a link
      +100 on McMaster Carr.

Comment

I love McMaster-Carr. They have a distribution center here in NJ, so if I order by 10AM, I get my order the same day! You can't beat that with a stick!

I get some of my neos here: K&J Magnetics. They will even make custom sizes.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
          I love McMaster-Carr. They have a distribution center here in NJ, so if I order by 10AM, I get my order the same day! You can't beat that with a stick!

Thanks, those magnets look a lot cheaper!

Comment

Thats awsome! Thanks for the link. I just bought two 3 x 1 x 1/4" neos from them.. I hope the pole orientation is right to charge a bar magnet :/

Comment

I use large neos from these guys to charge all of my bars.
              Bryan Gunsher
              http://www.bg-pups.com
              https://www.facebook.com/BGPups

Comment

Hi There,

Im just curious as to what you use to magnatize your Alnico Magnets to specific levels. I can't see how you could get any precision out of rubbing a bar magnet on a larger magnet. I saw in the seymore duncan videos that they actually have a machine they call a "Magnatizer". Something like that must be expensive!

I think im going to buy myself a gauss meter as well. In researching here someone recommended the GM200A from Carlsen Melton.

belwar
                Hi,
                I use two coils with a laminated (transformer iron)Iron core and a variac.
                You can use them with DC voltage to magnetize your magnets and for demagnetizing I am using a AC magnetic field.This is easy to build and cheap if you have a variac anyway.
                Cheers
                David

Comment

Working...
                X