5e3 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5e3 question

Hello all I am looking to build a 5e3 style amp and was wondering if theres a place to get a parts list and some instruction? I would rather build from scratch than a kit. I have lots of metal working and electronic controls experience but have never built a tube amp. I am sure I can do it but I would like it to be more built by me than a kit. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.hoffmanamps.com/schematics.htm
    http://www.hoffmanamps.com/Hoffman/5E3parts.htm
    http://www.hoffmanamps.com/Hoffman/images/5e3.gif

Comment

www.ampwares.com

Ampwares has parts list for the most popular tweed models, including the 5E3. Also check out the Fender Field Guide (link in the upper left corner), which is part of ampwares. There you will find a schematic and a layout for the Deluxe.
      There is a post in the Cabinets section of this forum where you will find some links to drawing for the cabinet.
      Hoffman Amps is a good source for most of the parts. Good selection, good prices, and good service. Don't skimp on the transformers, get USA made iron if you can. Also check out Mouser.com.
      I've got a 5E3 going right now. I've built 3 other amps compleatly from scratch, but for this build I bought the Mission Amps kit. If you plan on using a repro chassie and good iron it will be cheaper in the end to get the Mission kit. All of the parts are top quality, documentation is good, and the whole thing is very well packed. I plan on posting a long rant about how impressed I am with the kit after I finish the build.

Good Luck
      jaydawg

Comment

5e3

Thanks so much for the information . I will look at the links and check out the kit. I am thinking about going to Egnaters one day amp seminar in November now. I talked with him yesterday and I was unaware that he was doing that. It might be a great place to start as it is only about 2 1/2 hours from home.

Comment

How much $$ is he charging for the seminar?
          Bruce

Mission Amps
          Denver, CO. 80022
          www.missionamps.com
          303-955-2412

Comment

Egnater seminar

He is charging:
            $925 mojo jtm45 customized kit
            $250 class
            $1175 total

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce / Mission Amps View Post
              How much $$ is he charging for the seminar?
              Bruce,

Have you thought about doing the same thing?

You could do a seminar on building your 5E3 Deluxe kit. Charge for the kit and your time to help the attendees put it together.

Do you think there would be much interest in the Denver area?

steve m.

Comment

Yes I am.
                I don't know for sure about Denver, how or when but Randy and I have been talking about doing it again sometime later in the early Spring.
                I need a little feedback from a group of builders though ... dead cold beginners, novices and on up... what do you want to learn... etc.
                I don't know if building an amp is necessary but it could be better that way and a participant woudl go home with something that works... the 5E3 can be put together with a little help in about 5-7 hours but maybe too much.
                You've built a bunch of little amps and stopped by the shop a few times with your creations, so you'd know.
                Amp building or not, I was thinking making it two days so folks from out of town would have some time over a weekend and an evening afterwords to think about it.
                First day, a couple hours early in the morning for the truly novice builders needing electronics basics and maybe some soldering lessons and then a more complex classroom later in the morning through out the day with the next day being a Q&A in the morning, a little trouble shooting and then late lunch/dinner and a jam party.
                The other thing we've been talking about is an Internet seminar with Power Point presentation.
                Not sure which way to go with this but I do know I spend at least an hour or more everyday on the phone with builders and they all ar NOT building just a Mission Amps kits.
                Bruce

Mission Amps
                Denver, CO. 80022
                www.missionamps.com
                303-955-2412

Comment

Is the included JTM45 kit the MOJO $900 head kit or the $1175 combo kit?

Bruce
                  Bruce

Mission Amps
                  Denver, CO. 80022
                  www.missionamps.com
                  303-955-2412

Comment

The way Bruce described it, it is the head version.I guess you build the amp from the kit and then you are able to mod it to what your tastes are.It starts at 8 am and ends when the last person is finished.I have the whole registration form I can email to you if you want to check out all the details.

Comment

Sounds like a cool idea Bruce.

While the 5F2-A Princeton is my favorite circuit (as you know) and is easy to build, the 5E3 is a better choice for an amp that could actually be used to gig. Besides the 5E3 isn't that much more complex than a 5F2-A.

Maybe you could have two tiers? One for total novice builders: have them build a Soulkicker Jr. combo. Like you said you'd want to have some basic guitar amp circuit theory and soldering instruction and practice in the early morning, then have them build the amp over the next afternoon and next day. Then a jam after lunch/dinner.

The second tier would be for guys who have built a few amps, but need some pro instruction on really nailing a nice clean build. You might want to go over basic and advanced building techniques, and then let them at your 5E3 kits.

I know some of the hotels by the old Stapleton airport have good rates for rooms and auditoriums, so you might consider them for a place to hold the seminar. There are shuttles that make it easy to get from DIA to Stapleton, and the whole area is being developed so there is shopping/food/etc. in the area. Stapleton is pretty easy to get to for local attendees as well.

I like the idea of Power Point presentations, but I think a video/DVD would be better. Although I imagine a video/DVD done by a pro would be prohibitively expensive.

I'd encourage you to look into some of these ideas, you're a natural teacher Bruce, and I think it would be a great benefit to the amp building community.

steve

Originally posted by Bruce / Mission Amps View Post
                      Yes I am.
                      I don't know for sure about Denver, how or when but Randy and I have been talking about doing it again sometime later in the early Spring.
                      I need a little feedback from a group of builders though ... dead cold beginners, novices and on up... what do you want to learn... etc.
                      I don't know if building an amp is necessary but it could be better that way and a participant woudl go home with something that works... the 5E3 can be put together with a little help in about 5-7 hours but maybe too much.
                      You've built a bunch of little amps and stopped by the shop a few times with your creations, so you'd know.
                      Amp building or not, I was thinking making it two days so folks from out of town would have some time over a weekend and an evening afterwords to think about it.
                      First day, a couple hours early in the morning for the truly novice builders needing electronics basics and maybe some soldering lessons and then a more complex classroom later in the morning through out the day with the next day being a Q&A in the morning, a little trouble shooting and then late lunch/dinner and a jam party.
                      The other thing we've been talking about is an Internet seminar with Power Point presentation.
                      Not sure which way to go with this but I do know I spend at least an hour or more everyday on the phone with builders and they all ar NOT building just a Mission Amps kits.
                      Last edited by steve; 10-13-2006, 03:46 PM. Reason: bad spelling

Comment

That would be excellent... I have great admiration for Bruce.
                        Bruce

Mission Amps
                        Denver, CO. 80022
                        www.missionamps.com
                        303-955-2412

Comment

Well, MOJO ( www.mojomusicalsupply.com ) has expressed an interest in sponsoring a bit with me on it in the past and so has Pigtail Music ( http://www.pigtailmusic.com ). The folks at Drum City Guitarland like the idea ( http://www.drumcityguitarland.com ) so if more DIY'rs are truly interested in participating in a fun, lower cost seminar, I think I will do it.

Regardless, I'd like to hear everyone's suggestions about this.

As an example:
                          I am frequently amazed to learn how many novice builders try to build a tube amp with virtually no tools or any test equipment. This can make amp building very frustrating.
                          So, Randy and I talked about having a small hand tool kit with a little DVMM available too, as over the years, I have found that I use only about 5 or 6 hand tools and my hand held DVMM for about 95% of everything I do.
                          This would give them a chance to see what is really needed and what is fluff.
                          And I know fluff.... we have a lot of fluff over here!!

Also, since I am asked this often, we'd bring in a few O'Scopes and show our class how to use them in a vacuum tube application including how to trace a signal, where it goes and how it grows, measure power output with a scope... etc.
                          Bruce

Mission Amps
                          Denver, CO. 80022
                          www.missionamps.com
                          303-955-2412

Comment

I will email you the info at mission amps.

Comment

Mission Amps has decided we will hold a tube amp builder's seminar in the Denver area.

We have to work out some details but Steve is right, the 5E3 is such a great sounding little amp and fairly easy to build in one day so it does seem like the obvious choice. I've been involved in close to 1000 of them so I'm well versed in the 5E3.
                              What I'd do is not offer a just a chance to build a chassis or head kit but instead, the entire Mission Amps 5E3 combo with it's fully lacquered twed cabinet, a decent C12Q or upgraded P12Q speaker and of course we'd use all my good parts in the kit so a builder would have something to be really proud of.
                              I think the whole thing could be done for around $850.00 and everyone goes home with a killer Mission Amps 5E3.

Any feedback or suggestion are really welcome?
                              Last edited by Bruce / Mission Amps; 10-26-2006, 12:44 AM.
                              Bruce

Mission Amps
                              Denver, CO. 80022
                              www.missionamps.com
                              303-955-2412

Comment

Working...
                              X