N00b questions/Crate stealth Gt50H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N00b questions/Crate stealth Gt50H

hey guys, so you guys probably always get annoyed by questions like these so you can just ignore this thread if you want.
    I've got a homemade guitar with a Fernandez's lawsuit neck pickup some dimarzio humbucker in the bridge into a crate gt50H running through two 10" SEAS alnico speakers from the early 70's (they sound sweeeeeet) in a cab i made. So incase you cant tell i like making my stuff unmistakably mine.
    Anyway i want to try my hand at modding my amp because i think thats the best way to learn and if i do it well i get something out of it as well. is there any common mods for these amps? im going to start with the very simple stuff like changing out the spring reverb tank and swapping out replacement parts before i get into the more extreme stuff.
    I'm finding that the high can be quite brittle and harsh, so it would be nice if i could smooth that over without suppressing it. that would be a nice start, any advice?

oh and a schematic might help- GT-50H,_50_Schematics.pdf

cheers

Edit: what does each individual preamp tube do? there are 3 12ax7's as you can see but im not sure what does which.
    Last edited by antiunderscores; 08-08-2008, 12:04 PM.

Maybe check and/or replace the power supply caps?
    Change the TL072 opamps for OPA2134's or something else more modern?
    Change the 1uF non-polar electrolytic coupling caps in the effects loop for orange drops or better?
    There are more electrolytic coupling caps, but I haven't gone over the whole schematic.
    Put in a standby switch?

I just bought one off of ebay and I'll see what it's like when I get it....

Thanks for the schematic!
    Last edited by PlinytheWelder; 08-09-2008, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PlinytheWelder View Post
      Maybe check and/or replace the power supply caps?
      Change the TL072 opamps for OPA2134's or something else more modern?
      Change the 1uF non-polar electrolytic coupling caps in the effects loop for orange drops or better?
      There are more electrolytic coupling caps, but I haven't gone over the whole schematic.
      Put in a standby switch?

I just bought one off of ebay and I'll see what it's like when I get it....

Thanks for the schematic!
      Thanks for that, I'll try as many of those as i can.
      Keep me posted on it, im actually understanding this schematic now. This is a great amp for the money by the way.

Comment

Wow I dig mine stock-thankfully. I didnt realise how much stuff these amps have in them. A bunch of transitors,diodes,op amps,wow! I own two of them and love the 80's hair metal tone. Hardly an all tube signal path I guess. bob
        "Reality is an illusion albeit a very persistant one " Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
        X