4x8 cab with 5e3 head...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4x8 cab with 5e3 head...

I've been thinking about building a 4x8 cab to use with a 5e3 head for a baby halfstack. Anyone have any experience & opinions on using a 4x8 cab for electric guitar? Also, what ohmage speakers, & cab wiring would I need to for all 4 speakers so the total load of the cabinet is 8 ohms? Please post any wiring graphics, or links to them, if possible...
    Thanks!
    sigpic

4x8? I take it you mean 4 8" speakers.

I dunno, 8" speakers seem to just sound...smaller. Maybe that a sound you are after. Me, I have a mini stack with two cabs, each carrying a 12" speaker (check out my profile, there is a photo album with my 5E3 build there).

The other nice thing about 12" speakers is that they are more versatile. I can build another head and use one of the cabs with it to get a mix and match thing going on. I'd think that if you took some of the classic Fenders (deluxe reverb, tweed deluxe, etc) and ran them through 8" speakers instead of the 12" speakers they came with, they'd lose something.

Just my $0.02.
    In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

I don't know how it will sound but I think it is a great idea to try.

I have never liked 1x12" or 2x12" all that much... For what I usually do (blues gigs, guitar->reverb tank->amp) I really like the punch and clarity of 4x10". It seems that I can turn down the bass a bit more with 4x10" and still get a meaty tone. 4x10" is great in a SR and bassman, however I guess it is too much for a deluxe. Perhaps 4x8" would have a similar feel in a deluxe.

I had an old teisco tube amp that had two el-cheapo alnico speakers in it. It was 8" or smaller. That amp had a really organic tone, however almost no bass and low mids... but I could imagine that going up to 4x8" with more powerful speakers would change things.

Please, let us know if you try it out.

Andreas

Comment

Working...
      X