Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can any help a brutha out with a vox ad 120 vtx speaker issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can any help a brutha out with a vox ad 120 vtx speaker issue?

Hi how are ya? In my collection of vox amps i recently added the original vox ad 120 vtx 2x12 combo w/neo dog's and the whole nine. Come to find the left speaker is not generating sound.i went ahead and removed the wires from the right speaker and hooked them to the left (not working speaker) and sure enough the speaker is in fine shape and sounds great.so this tells me my actual speaker is ok. Its some kind of electrical thing!i hooked the wires back to there proper speakers and proceeded to reset the amps settings to its default,original settings and still no sound from the left. Does anyone have any tips and or suggestions that might bring me a little closer to fixing this problem? I would be grateful ! I look forward to hearing from ya! Mark (fain 72)

Stick an ohmmeter across the 'dud' speaker terminals. If you don't any resistance reading, the coil is burnt out/damaged and you need a new speaker/recone
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Hey tubes, he saud he ran wires from the good channel to that speaker and it works. So his output on that side is dead.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Oops So he did. Well then he should start with the output stage and work back towards the input checking the tubes, power supply, heaters and signal path, or take it to someone who knows how to do that safely.
        Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

More than likely it is an open connection on a corroded push on spade connector. If the speaker isn't open or frozen, just meter out the wiring. I've seen this problem many times. The push on is just crimped because soldering it would cause metal fatigue and failure do to vibration over time. If it gets oxidized between the copper wire and the steel push on connector (electralisis) you can get very high resisance there and the speaker will not get any signal. Just meter out everything past the OT. It will take you 5 minutes.

Comment

Working...
          X