Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jensen C12R versus C12N question

Hi,

I have a recently acquired Jensen C12R in my '77 Princeton reverb I recently bought (they cut the baffle!). It had a generic Fender OEM (Eminence) speaker in it which was OK. Gave good Bass, but was not bright like I prefer.

I recently got a Jensen C12R and it really nails that over the top "Jangly" bright sound. But it is pretty much lacking in Bass. I mean, when I turn the Bass knob from 1-10, you don't really hear a difference! I wanted to know if I went to a C12N, would that be just as bright as the C12R but with better Bass?

Thanks,
    Martin

Jensen C12R versus C12N - REVIEW

Here's some speaker comparison information on the two Jensen speakers with my Princeton Reverb. I first bought the Jensen C12R (25 watt) and replaced the generic Fender Eminence 12". It was tons brighter. Jangle city! Less Bass, though.

So that's what got me getting the Jensen C12N (50 watts). When I got it home, I played the C12R for about ten minutes and then quickly swapped it with the C12N. The C12N definitely gave more Bass, but was not as bright. It's still a bright speaker, mind you, but it lost some of that extreme jangle brightness. It WAS brighter than the OEM Fender Eminence, which is very similar in magnet etc... I play three different types of guitars through this, so I wanted the brightest I could get. Strat, Rick 330/12 and a Gibson ES335 (the darkest of them all).

End result: I stuck with the C12R because that's the direction I wanted. It seemed that the C12N added more Mids to the mix in addition to the Bass, and I really love the "scooped" sound the C12R gives. Plus it's more in keeping with the stock Princeton Reverb sound (although in a 12" size!).

My Strat sounds SO good. In every pickup. Rick 330/12 has awesome jangle. the ES335 gets a lot nicer sounding. I always was struggling to get it bright because it's naturally a warmer, darker sounding guitar. Now it's better balanced sounding. The ES, with it's hotter humbuckers, really drive the amp as well.
    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
    X