Too funny, this guy's cab!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too funny, this guy's cab!

Check this guy out. Awful proud of his work, I think. Notice the attention to detail on the covering. A fine craftsman. Too bad nobody knows WHAT speakers are in there...as if it mattered. Is it me, or does that wood (or whatever) look a bit on the thin side? Be careful when mic'ing....an SM57 is likely to poke through his Dura-Tuff grill cloth! Road-ready, man! And such a deal!

http://topeka.craigslist.org/msg/795305409.html

Amusing stuff.

Brad1

I wasn't going to reply, but my tongue got the better of me.

I like this forum because I feel that I can say stupid/newbie things and post pictures of my accomplishments without fear of ridicule. As a community, we're here to help and offer our experience to other members without (or little) judgement or ego. Yes, there are some personalities that are a little more opinionated than others, but I still feel comfortable posting in any of the subforums. I just don't think it's right to make fun of someone's work like this. The builder was proud of his work in both finish and sound, so let's leave it at that. No one has to buy that cabinet.

Sorry if _I_ sounded too high and mighty.

L

Comment

DIY tolex is a bitch. That's a lot better job than I probably would have done.
      Stop by my web page!

Comment

who needs glue, the stuff smells anyway. ill bet that cab was carved out of a solid block of maple.

Comment

I've only ever covered one cab. I used purple vinyl . It's OK (not really), But in factory production it only takes moments to cover a cab. Ken Fischer wrote a good chapter on the old Ampeg company in Gerald Webers book and talked about how amazing and fast it is to see the line workers cover an amp. But it's true enough, from my own experience, that doing it for one at a time builds is a bitch. My experience has me making all my amps with a natural finish ever since .

Apart from that...I can't really see the tolex work in the photos well enough to say if it's good or bad. But I can say that the fact that the seller assumes that the high wattage rating is a good thing, and that he/she doesn't indicate the speakers in the box, could be indicative of the fact that he/she knows nothing about guitar amps. And may even be importing this crap from China. So I don't think there was any undeserved insult in the original post. Would you buy one of these???

Chuck
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Regis View Post
            DIY tolex is a bitch. That's a lot better job than I probably would have done.
            I did a Leslie in pink tolex with black hardware back in the 80's. I used 3M spray mount! It came out great, but man, that left sticky residue everywhere!

This guy's cabs will be OK when he learns how to cover them, use corner guards, and get some better grill cloth.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
              ...This guy's cabs will be OK when he learns how to cover them, use corner guards, and get some better grill cloth.
              And use more than 8 screws to attach the back panel. Makes me suspicious about the rest of the construction.
              Tom

Comment

OK, I digress. Maybe I was a bit harsh for being so suspicious. So I asked:

My email to him:

Subject: Cab
                To: sale-795305409@craigslist.org
                Date: Monday, August 18, 2008, 8:36 AM

Which brand and model of speakers are in that...and what ohmage are each? Are they series-paralleled 8 ohms each, and which pair are paralleled? What wood and thickness was used for the outside, baffle, and back...and how was the cabinet joined at the corners and the the baffle? What is the covering material, and what glue did you use? What fabric is used on the grill-cloth? How many cabs do you have in stock? What is the warranty on these? Thanks, B.

Heath's answer:

Re: CabMonday, August 18, 2008 11:38 PM
                From: This sender is DomainKeys verified "Heath Dont worry about it" <heath_r_10@yahoo.com>

These cabinets are loaded with madison warrior speakers. They are 8 ohm speakers wired in series/parallelled. I cannot tell you which pair is, if it is a big deal I could sure look though. For this specific cabinet we used 1/2 inch. however, for our actual run of these cabs we are using 3/4 inch. We used tolex for this specific cab, however we are able to put the spray on covering (like in truck beds) or the carpet-like material on other cabs if you would like to order one.

Madison Warriors? Very sought after tone. Not sure which pair are wired parallel? Why would ANYONE not know that?

Anyway...as I said...amusing stuff that he's giving a deal on those well-thought out and superior cabs.

Brad1

Comment

That spray on coating is becoming a popular means of cost cutting with people importing cheap crap. Just as I suspected. Hmmmmm.

And what the hell are "Madison speakers"? Why havent I heard of them if their tone is so "sought after"?
                  "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                  You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                    And what the hell are "Madison speakers"? Why havent I heard of them if their tone is so "sought after"?
                    Chuck,

That was sarcasm. The guy obviously doesn't know what he's doing. He could at least put some decent speakers in there, instead of those cheap speakers that aren't even meant for guitar. Search for "Madison speakers", and I see cheap Chinese speakers meant for possibly PA, (and not very well thought of at that), but I have found no guitar-voiced "Madison" speakers.

I'll bet that cab does get "higher highs and lower lows", as he claims. It probably don't get no satisfaction for guitar-range mids, though.

Brad1

Comment

Working...
                    X