Drilling holes in Tweed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilling holes in Tweed

Is there a trick I need to know before I drill the chassis mount holes in a laquered tweed cabinet? I don't want to pull or tear the tweed. Should I drill through the wood from the inside?
    Thanks.

Put a piece of masking tape over the area you plan to drill. The tape will help hold the tweed fibers in place when the drill cuts in. It's a trick thats worked for me on similar projects. But I've never done exactly what you propose (so it's at your own risk;) The lacquer would probably be good enough, but why take chances. Don't use 3M (Scotch) Blue tape (#2090 I think) because it's not compatible with lacquer and may even lift it from the tweed on removal. Plain old 3M 2020 is a good choice. Take it from a painter.

Chuck
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

how about using a wad?

Hi,
      Use a small wad to punch a hole in the tweed before drilling, the wad has to be slightly bigger than the hole you' re willing to make with the drill - this way you' re sure you' won' t touch/tear/damage the tweed ( works well with tolex too ).
      Hope this helps
      Bob
      Hoc unum scio: me nihil scire.

Comment

Working...
      X