"Thumping" tremolo circuit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Thumping" tremolo circuit

Is there a common cure for this? I do not have a schematic unfortunately. I do not see a optoisolator however. It appears to be adjusting power tube bias, as they flicker with the tremolo. What kind of trem is this?

The thumping only happens at and just around max settings? Backing off either the speed or depth does away with it, however I dont recall the thumping being present when I first bought the amp. Is there a particular something I should check, or is the question too broad?

Make? Model?

It's a bias-shift tremolo.

Comment

http://www.schematicheaven.com/fende...6g16_schem.pdf

The tremolo circuit is the same in mine as is in this vibroverb, except a couple differences. I have another post under theory and design about the few differences in my amps tremolo circuit and this one, hopefully maybe Ill figure something out

Comment

All trem circuits will make 'pumping' noises to some degree. Maybe you didn't notice it when you first got the amp?

Older or mismatched output tubes will have an effect on this.
        How many hours do the OP tubes have on them?

Is this a homebrew amp?

Comment

Why would mismatched output tubes affect tremelo thumping?

Comment

Bias needs to be set correctly for that style trem to operate right. Common scene for me to have princetons and the like come in after the owner has replaced the tubes then they notice the trem is weak.
            The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Mercure View Post
              Why would mismatched output tubes affect tremelo thumping?
              Generally:

They hum more than matched tubes and that hum, when oscillated by the trem ckt, can make the 'thump' more pronounced.

Comment

Working...
              X