Power solutions for a 16vAC effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power solutions for a 16vAC effect

I picked up a parametric EQ that runs off of a 16vAC, 1A source, but the power supply was not included. I'd like to integrate this into my amp and have a couple of ways to power it, but would like some input.

The power tranny for this amp was yanked from an amp that had a solid state preamp and a tube power amp, so I've got a 20-0-20 secondary that's currently not being used. I could use one side of that secondary with some voltage dropping device (zener, resistor, or ...?) to bring it down to 16v. However, I do not know the current rating for this secondary, so this may not work. I've not opened this tranny to see the wire diameter of the that secondary, but could if there's a simple way to drop the required voltage.

The second solution would be to buy a seperate power tranny for this effect and just wire it to the mains in the amp.

Thoughts?
    -Mike

I would think that a little investigation into the parametric power supply would answer your questions. If it uses 16vac, I would think that it is being rectifed and filtered and then sent to a voltage regulator to create the power supply. I doubt that it really needs 1 amp of current.

I think that you might be able to use the one side of the 40 volt winding without any problems. If it uses opamps, you could build a complete new power supply for the parametric with the 20-0-20.

Comment

I agree, I can't see it using 1 amp of current. Once I get it I'll open it up and see what the power supply inside the equalizer looks like. Good idea.
      -Mike

Comment

It doesn't need 1A of operating current any more than your amplifier with a 3 amp fuse needs 3 amps to operate. It does want some headroom on the supply. I am sure your 20-0-20 has enough current for it. REctify and filter that and run the result into the existing regulators in the EQ and there you are.

Meanwhile an AC adaptor with an amp or more should be readily available from Jameco or someone for cheap.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
        X