Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Deluxe Reverb re-issue

Hi
    My amp died. On friday night, I was playing and it cut out, but came back after a few minutes of leaving it off. Then the next day it did the same thing but this time it is silent. No hum, nothing... The fuse looks good, but I have no clue what is wrong with it. Last fall I changed all the tube with a mixed set from the tube store. It was working great, except for the tremola which craped out awhile ago.(I never use it).

Any ideas guys would be helpful.

Thanks
    Bill

Welcome to the board!

Originally posted by fender_van View Post
    No hum, nothing... The fuse looks good, but I have no clue what is wrong with it.
    When you turn on the amp, I assume that the pilot light lights up and the tube filaments glow (the small orange glow visible from the end of the tubes).

Do you hear any sound at all? No hum no hiss, nothing? If that is the case then there are two things I would suggest you check. First is to turn on the amp and carefully check to see if the tubes are getting hot. The ones that will get hottest are the two 6V6 output tubes. If they do in fact get warm, then we can assume that they are getting normal amounts of high voltage. If they remain cold, then the rectifier tube would be suspect. If you still have the old one (5AR4) try and substitute it and see what happens. Of course this assumes that the old one is still working.

If the tubes do get warm, then check the speaker and the speaker wiring. Try twisting the speaker plug in the jack, to see if the metal has become oxidized. Make sure that the wires to the speaker are ok and that the terminals are clean and tight. You can test the speaker with a 9 volt battery, by touching the terminals of the battery across the 1/4 inch plug contacts. If the speaker's voice coil is ok, you will hear a thumping from the speaker.

Try these things and get back to us with your findings.

Comment

Ok Thank you. I will have a look at it tonight and let you know what happens. The old 5AR4 is still good so if I need to, I can use it for this test.

Comment

Hi again
        Ok it was the speaker jack, female end inside the amp. The technician found it to be too close to the edge so he took a pair of plyers and bent it out a bit. The grounding was set right again and the amp is working.
        On a side note, he also fixed my tremolo. It was also the jack but the crappy Mexican soldering job inside the 90deg male end that goes into the amp foot switch input.

All is well!
        Thanks
        Bill

Comment

Working...
        X