Sound Fluctuation with Single Rectifier! HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound Fluctuation with Single Rectifier! HELP

Hey, I just recently bought a Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier after selling my Peavey 5150. When i plug in, everything sounds great, but the sound will fluctuate. It will be very loud, then all of a sudden cut out and loose the majority of its power. I had the same problem with my 5150 and thats why i got rid of it. I'm just really confused as to what the cause may be. Is it the amp? or the cab? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Isolate the problem. It is the amp, or the speaker, or the speaker cord, or the guitar, or the guitar cord. This is happening with two heads, so try playing through a different speaker cab. Are you using a real speaker cord, NOT a guitar cord to connect the speakers?

Have you tried different guitars and guitar cords?

Bypass the effects loop, either by switching or with a cord plugged from send to return. ANy help?

Inside the Mesa, look at each control on the panel from the inside. Each control has a metal cover over the rear, like most controls. Is the rear cover on ANY of the controls loose? Power off, wiggle each with your fingers to see. Loose controls is a Mesa headache. And it can cause exactly this symptom.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

nice! thanks for the reply man. I just tried bypassing the effects loop and got the same problem. I also tried plugging headphones in the output and still got the same problem. So i think it is something with the head. I just can't see how i would get the same exact problem with two different heads. Maybe i just have bad luck.

Comment

Well, check those pots.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Are you plugging into the same outlet? Could be fluctuating voltage. If you have a multimeter, switch it to AC voltage and test your outlet. If not that, I would check the guitar, cord, or speakers like Enzo suggested as it seems uncanny that two heads of different make and model do the same thing.

Comment

Working...
          X