Dead Harmony h303a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead Harmony h303a

Hi everyone, I'm new here and must admit I dont know that much about electronics. I think I killed my harmony h303a. I't was working fine until I decided I wanted to put an external speaker jack in it to bypass the 6" Jenson. I took the chassis out and carefully at very low speed drilled a hole in the chassis for the jack. wired up the jack, white wire to the hot side of the jack and brown (tan) to ground. connected it to a single 12 cab and fired it up. Waited for it to warm up but no sound..Was on for about a minute before i realized something wasnt right then I shut it off. Thought about it for a minute then got my multimeter and checked the speaker wires from the OT (white and brown) for resistanse to ground. Well the borwn wire which is wired to a lug which goes directly to the chassis and the bare silver wire which is soldered to the same lug and goes into the OT had no resistance to ground..Funny thing is the white(hot?) wire didnt either. Is that right? I did notice all the tubes were glowing when I had it on..I know that really means nothing. Maybe the Vibration from the drill did something to one of the tubes or OT? .I realize now I should have taken the tubes out before I drilled it..Stupid I know..I'm really bummin cause I really loved that little amp..I'm basically just looking for a heads up on what to do. Is this something I can fix myself or should I take it to my amp doctor who is next to impossible to get ahold of..Any help here would greatly be appreciated..Thanks

The speaker winding will normally have xtremely low resistance.

My first guess is that you wired the hot speaker lead top ground on your jack.

REmove your work and connect the wires to the original speaker in the original manner. Does the amp now work again?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Yes that worked. I had the wires swicthed. Got the new jack wired up, the right way this time and all is good. Thanks so much for your help. Anyone have any idea what the impedance the speakers are in this amp? Once again thank you.

Comment

The Jensen P6-V in the H303A is a 4 ohm speaker, so Chad at Triode Elec informs me
        I'm not old - I'm vintage

Comment

Working...
        X