Single ended 12a_7 ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single ended 12a_7 ???

Any designs out there for a SE 12a_7 amp .. what sort of transformer speck s
    would be needed .... what sort of power output enough to be audible clean???

cheers

Walkman

I'm not sure about single-ended 12A_7's, but check this out:
    http://ax84.com/index.php/oldproject...ect_id=firefly

The Firefly has a 12AU7 as a "self-split" PP power tube. I've heard rumors about threads where the output had been re-worked as parallel SE, but so fat those have been vapor threads. Shouldn't be too hard if you have the right math.

Comment

IIRC he regular old Fender combo reverb is a single ended 12a_7 into an 8 ohm load. So you can go by the load R in the tube data or just duplicate the primary for a reverb unit, they're probably close anyway. Sorry, no numbers for you. You can look up that stuff anyhow.

I would think one of the Hammond 3 watt universal single ended OTs would work for this. They're said to sound pretty good.

The 12au7 has been used by a couple of known builders and many home brewers with good results. It's supposed to be a good choice because it's a lower mu tube than the other 12a_7s. And, again IIRC, the 12au7 can handle the current better.

The 1 watt or so you'd get from such an amp is said to be much louder than you might expect. I've read it's about as loud as a loud speaking voice or a quiet shout.

I think the Moonlight, on the same site as the Firefly, is a single ended 12au7.

HTH

Chuck
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

If you want it louder, you can stick some more triodes in parallel in the output stage
        Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Moonlight doesn't have a page at AX84 at this time (actually, it does, but it says "under construction"), but a quick Google search confirmed that it has the PP 6SN7 output stage that you can find under AX84's "Component Amp Projects".

The suggestion to use a reverb transformer is an excellent idea - the typical Fender reverb unit is driven by a 12AU7 wired in parallel. If anyone has a good source for replacement/aftermarket reverb transformers, I'd love to see it.

Comment

Blackface and silverface Fender combos generally use 12AT7s for reverb drivers.

I'd pick whichever 12A_7 has the highest transconductance. And I wouldn't rule out the 12BZ7.

Shea

Comment

What about 12DW7?

Comment

I'd be interested in doing this on my Epi VJ to have a switchable option to use the 12AU7 for very low cranking.

If anyone susses out which OT to use, I'd interested to find out.
                HTH - Heavier Than Hell

Comment

If it doesn't *have to* be SE, you could probably simply lift the self-split PP power stage from the Firefly. All the info is there under "Archived Projects". The recordings I've heard at AX84 and on Youtube sound pretty good, if a little trebly - probably a combination of the small speakers used and the preamp voicing.

You'll almost certainly need to use a separate OT for the dual triode output stage. Switching between the two power amps will be a little tricky, but still easier than if you used the same OT for both.

Be sure to use the right voltage on the 12AU7 - perhaps the rail that supplies the pentode's screen grid voltage?

Comment

I've some single ended transformers from old radio's about 7000/15 for 6gw8 or 6m5 output. Would this be suitable for 12a_7 , i'd use the power transformers too , so rectified voltage may be round 270v DC.

Currently i've built and rebuilt an amp with el84 running in triode mode and with a a conjunctive filter and it sounds quite good, with an old rola alnico 12" speaker, but is too loud for others when cranked , or even just warm.

Comment

Working...
                    X