Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOSS CE-1 Chorus Ensemble Mod?

Hello,

Anyone know where I can get my BOSS CE-1 Chorus pedal modified? I love this pedal but it degenerates the amplifier tone/presence once its powered on.

Gear: les pauls, marshall 30th anniv with a 4x12.

The CE-1 was really intended for a keyboard clientele. Which is why the input impedance is so bloody low. Sadly, because it uses the same sort of "bypass" implementation used on so many other commercial chorus pedals (i.e., only cancel the delay signal, but leave all input/output stages in-circuit), that loading down of your guitar will apply even when you think you're by-passing the effect.

You may find some measurable improvement to your tone by replacing the stock 50k Level pot with a 500k log pot, and by replacing the 470k feedback resistor (R11) with something smaller, like 330k, or maybe even 220k.
    See http://www.freeinfosociety.com/elect...es/bossce1.jpg

Why do this? You want the input impedance to be as high as possible. Even maxed, a 50k level pot will seriously load down your guitar. Using a 500k pot will load down the input significantly less. Of course, since you achieve the least loading when the Level pot is maxed, and since that will likely introduce clipping, you need to complement that change in pot value with a reduction in the gain of that first stage, so that you CAN dime the level control, or nearabouts. Changing R11 from 479k to 330k will drop the gain of that input stage from 48x to 34x. Dropping it to 270k will get you 28x, and dropping it to 220k will get you 23x. Something in between 220k and 470k should get you a decent compromise that permits you to keep the Level pot as high up as possible, while avoiding distortion.

Comment

I know this is not what tone purists would recommend, but how about just putting a buffered pedal in front of it? Wouldn't a boss tuner (TU-2) or similar work?

Andrew M

Comment

That could work, insomuch as it eliminates the loading of the higher-impedance guitar signal by the too-low Level pot. At the same time, it necessitates an extra pedal, and may complicate effect switching. Trust me, the pot change is better, simpler, and recommended by many.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks everyone! This place is great.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hammer View Post
            The CE-1 was really intended for a keyboard clientele. Which is why the input impedance is so bloody low. Sadly, because it uses the same sort of "bypass" implementation used on so many other commercial chorus pedals (i.e., only cancel the delay signal, but leave all input/output stages in-circuit), that loading down of your guitar will apply even when you think you're by-passing the effect.

You may find some measurable improvement to your tone by replacing the stock 50k Level pot with a 500k log pot, and by replacing the 470k feedback resistor (R11) with something smaller, like 330k, or maybe even 220k.

Why do this? You want the input impedance to be as high as possible. Even maxed, a 50k level pot will seriously load down your guitar. Using a 500k pot will load down the input significantly less. Of course, since you achieve the least loading when the Level pot is maxed, and since that will likely introduce clipping, you need to complement that change in pot value with a reduction in the gain of that first stage, so that you CAN dime the level control, or nearabouts. Changing R11 from 479k to 330k will drop the gain of that input stage from 48x to 34x. Dropping it to 270k will get you 28x, and dropping it to 220k will get you 23x. Something in between 220k and 470k should get you a decent compromise that permits you to keep the Level pot as high up as possible, while avoiding distortion.
            btw, where can I get this done??

Comment

most guitar shops repair service will do this, although if you have an electronically minded friend (not a robot but a tech) or yourself, the parts are easy to source and its a relatively easy swap out, theres a few guides on this forum and links to other guides online that can teach you the basics, then you too can be addicted to improving your pedals (even if they don't exactly need it )

Comment

I think it helps immensely when the request you come in with is more focussed and better-informed. I would suggest approaching the repair shop with a printout of this thread and the schematic. Heck, if the repairperson feels they learned something useful out of doing this repair, they may even charge you less!

Some 25 years ago, I took a course in grad school on assembly language programming and interfacing. It was offered in the psychology department where I was, believe it or not. The profs motive and focus was that, sooner or later, we were going to have to ask the guys in the tech shop to make something for us or program something for us. He wanted us to be able to tell them exactly what we needed and the precise specs so that it did what we wanted the first time out. It wasn't learning about the technology to necessarily do things myself, but rather learning enough to make coherent easy-to-accomplish requests of others.

That approach hasn't failed me yet.

Comment

Dear Mark,
                  Want to ask.. I got ce1 here I love the tone so much..
                  But if change the pot from 50k to 500k and change the R11..
                  Would it be change the sound of the CE1 ???

Thanks a lot
                  Regards,
                  Billy (jakarta-indonesia)

Comment

It won't change the chorus sound/effect. It will simply make the clean signal sound cleaner and crisper, because all the treble will be processed properly.

Comment

It won't change the chorus sound/effect. It will simply make the clean signal sound cleaner and crisper, because all the treble will be processed properly.
                      Thanks a lot Mark for the answer i really appreciated that..
                      Btw I got this ce1 from my friend but the chorus is died,
                      only vibrato still work fine.. Is it maybe the MN3002 IC has
                      Broken ? Is it still can be fix it ??

Thanks in advance..

Regards,
                      Billy

Comment

If it produces vibrato, then the delay chip works just fine, and the problem is somewhere else.

Where?

Possibly it could be in the footswitch that goes between vibrato and chorus (easily replaced).

Possibly it could be part of the electronic switching that occurs when going from vibrato to chorus.

Comment

wow thanks a lot Mark..

i still have hope here
                          btw what is the footswitch type of CE1 >> SPDT, DPDT or 3PDT ?

Mark..soon i will let you know if the fx got repaired
                          and i will share here what is the problem really going on

(sorry for my bad english)

Thanks

Regards,
                          Billy

Comment

Originally posted by soundman1 View Post
                            Hello,

Anyone know where I can get my BOSS CE-1 Chorus pedal modified? I love this pedal but it degenerates the amplifier tone/presence once its powered on.

Gear: les pauls, marshall 30th anniv with a 4x12.

I think that comment about early boss pedals "being made with keys in mind" is true... i have a roland phaseV, and it seems to be an appropriate keyboard effect. It ramps up and down like the lesslie speakers.

Did you know the wah-wah was invented with trumpet in mind?

But I have a Boss ce-2... and it has the "thickness buffer" and yet swooshy pitch warble sound that the ce-1 has. It may be more syrupy sounding and not as bright.
                            Today is a good day.

Comment

Originally posted by yescaster View Post

Did you know the wah-wah was invented with trumpet in mind?
                              I was thinking the same thing either hahaha..
                              Nice quote quote anyways

Comment

Working...
                              X