finding custom pot tapers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finding custom pot tapers?

I found that the linear taper pot on my marshall style amp wasn't working right. I tried a couple of the same 250k alphas. Then i tried several other unknown 250k pots, some of which if not most i'm positive were audio taper. Same problem. That being that all the pot's usable range was from all the way down to about 10:00-12:00. and because of that i literally couldn't even dial in the right amount of treble because the entire range i tend to use was probably within a 1/8th of an inch of travel.And while it makes no sense, the setting i'd normally like best wasn't even achievable. Why this is i have no idea, as both this and my last copy of this amp are the same with a typical marshall CF and tone stack.

In any case, a good while ago i found a 250k that worked wonders with the amp. i know it sounds crazy, but it truly transformed it. I recalled it being a pot sold by dimarzio i believe that i've had for many years. I called them and mentioned this to them and they told me that back 10 or 15 years ago when i bought it they were using CTS, and thats what i think it is. however, and this makes a lot of sense considering what i told you, they said they have always used a custom taper. that would explain why it worked so well in my amp when a number of other standard log and linear taper pots wouldn't.

My new build sounded very different than the old amp in some ways, one of which wasn't desirable. I took the treble pot from the old amp aI therefore neeed a pot with that same taper, so the question is, does anyone sell pots with non standard tapers and also describe the pot's values at various points of rotation so you can find a taper just like a pot you wish to duplicate?

The first step is to figure out what you have. With the pot disconnected carefully position the shaft at mid rotation and measure the resistance from the center terminal to each end. That will tell us what the taper is.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Go read "The Secret Life of Pots" at GEOFEX for how to make a linear taper pot be the taper you like. The tapering mechanism is more accurate than commercially available tapered pots in most cases.
      Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

I understand tapers and how to determine linear from audio and all that. this is just a odd taper obviously. I looked at the geofex article and i will probably try that if i need to and can better understand it exactly. But for now i found another pot of the same type i had in my pile. So i'm ok for now. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X