Tone knob has no effect on tone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone knob has no effect on tone.

I have an '80s model Epiphone S-800 strat style guitar that I recently replaced all three pickups with EMG Selects. Two single coils, one humbucker, all three passive. The guitar has three mini-toggle switches (factory) which allow for any pickup combo and a coil split on the the tone pot.
    The guitar works perfectly except the tone pot does nothing. I have tried different rating caps (currently using .047), I replaced the double stack pot for a regular one (both 250k), I rewired the grounds to every possible position I can think of. I wired the cap to the center-right-and left tabs and still no change. I have wired many guitars before but have never had this problem. Anyone with any suggestions? Please help!
    Thanks.
    - srvprodigy

Are you sue you have your lead from the volume pot to the tone pot? In order for the tone to function it must have an input.

Cheers,
    Jack Briggs

sigpic
    www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

Yes. I have a lead from the volume pot tab to the rear post of the first mini-toggle switch and then from that post to the rear post of the next switch and then to the third switch. From the last mini-toggle I have a lead coming from the front post to the tone pot. Each mini switch works perfectly, only sending signal when I flip the appropriate switch, or allowing all three at once or any combination of the three.
      I also tried wiring a lead directly from the tone pot back to the volume pot. That did allow the tone pot to function but it activated all three pickups at once and I could not turn them off. The volume pot had little affect then.
      I'm totally confused. I hope this further info might joggle some ideas from you or someone else.
      Thanks for the help.

Comment

I think it's the switch... you have the tone control connected to a terminal that isn't connected to the signal.

Rewire the tone pot to the volume control on the pickup side.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
        X