Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Humbucker kit from StewMac... good or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humbucker kit from StewMac... good or not?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electron...ucker_Kit.html

They don't look half bad... but the question is: can you make decent p'ups out from those parts? Which parts do you think are to change/avoid? What 'bout the wire... is it good enough?

I'm thinking into wind my first p'up, that's the reason of this question.

I'm all ears!
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy

Just the Bobbins, Baseplates. the Screws are metric...Look else where for the metal material- In my opinion ofcoarse

Comment

Bobbins and baseplate are the same as All Parts which I like. The keeper only fits their bobbin if you use their metric screws. Even then it's very tight. It has to be drilled out to work with the correct screws.
      They don't make them like they used to... We do.
      www.throbak.com
      Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

I've wound three of their kits. They seem fine, and sounded good.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I think it depends on what you're after. I have two sets here and I'll be winding one set in a couple of weeks for the new guitar I'm making. I don't see why I wouldn't get a decent set out them, I'm not going for "vintage correct" tones though.
          int main(void) {return 0;} /* no bugs, lean, portable & scalable... */
          www.ozbassforum.com

Comment

StewMac zebra humbuckers

I've wound two StewMac HB kits and they sound just fine to me. In fact, I like them better than my SD and DiMarzio pickups. I've had the StewMac kits (zebras) for quite a while and just finished winding them a month ago. One pleasant surprise, the cream bobbin's color improved. I didn't like them when they arrived, in fact I hated the pinkish color. This is the reason why I put off using the kit. As I was rummaging through my assortment of pickup parts, I noticed the zebra kit and was astonished to find out that the cream bobbin lost the pinkish color. Anybody else experienced this?

Comment

Working...
            X